• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

which kind of coat can i wear with a workwear style

pringlesman

Reaction score
Hello
fistbump.gif

I am new here, i am a newbie ! lol

It's getting cold and i'm looking for a coat, my style is kinda "workwear" i have 2 paires of boots, one is red wing, the other are desert boots, but i prefere the red wing, i wear sometimes sneakers (stan smith) depending where i am going and the mood, i always wear jeans or chinos.

i'm kinda tall 6'00 and i play gym, so i'm looking for a coat a little bit fitted that will show my shape.

i wanted first to buy a parka, i love parkas with two differents color (for exemple a khaki parka with a blue lining, it looks very cool when the sleeves are rolled up, it makes a great twist to the look) i have seen some pictures like that but i can't find a good one to buy... most of them got only one color, and they look "too big".

so i though about buying a caban, but i heard caban are not great when you have a "long slim face" i don't know exactly why, but it's my case, and i am not sure if it's easy to wear with a jean and a pair of red wing, or it's gonna depend of the material, with a thick whool, maybe it could work ?

Then because i am a bit tall, i though about an overcoat, some looks really great but i am not sure if it's possible to wear a coat like that when you dress like me !

what do you think ? could you help me to find a coat for me before i'm freezed by the cold ? lol

first i would like it to be a bit long, at list at the hip, and a bit fitted (for a coat) it doesn't have to be too fitted.

if you have some brand that i could check on internet, or some inspiring picture (a caban or an ovearcoat with a jeans and some red wing) to show me it would be awesome too !

i can spend around 300 euros for it and it's soon the sold, so maybe i could get something great.

thank you for your replies and hope my english is good enough !
bounce2.gif

Last edited:

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's 'workwear', but a navy pea coat could work.

sStyle by sal

Reaction score
I would definitely recommend a navy blue overcoat. I have had one for a year and I always get complements. Its like wearing a suit jacket but soo much easier. Just make sure the fit is really good that way when you wear it you will have a more V shaped upper body. It works with jeans and chinos, I have a couple of lookbooks of this jacket if you would like to see me style check out on Instagram @sStyle_sal and you should be able to find it.

Bower

Reaction score
Yes, a navy peacoat would be a good option.

Reaction score
I'd god for a longer overcoat. Longer coats in my opinion usually looks better that the shorter ones. Mid thigh length probably works fine with your description.
Navy blue like these other recommendations are a great color. Black/blue are great colors that you can combine with most outfits.
But probably the most important part is the fit, whatever you buy i will look bad if it fits bad. Find something that fits your body. If you work out a lok and have bulky muscles maybe off the rack fits won't look as good as it could then you might have to look into having it refitted. I myself have an "odd" body with being tall and having more muscle mass than the average person I get lots clothes refitted as the look so much better that way. If your making an investment in a coat it's well worth looking into. I've recently bought a new (my first) full length overcoat, that actually fits great off the rack! So just look around a bit and try some different brands out.

There are lots of different guides online about overcoats, here are some:
https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/overcoat-topcoat-greatcoat-terminology-explained/
http://www.mygentlemenstyle.com/2016/10/29/mens-overcoats/
http://www.realmenrealstyle.com/men-overcoat/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads