• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which jeans would you choose?

younglaw

Reaction score
It's my first pair of raw denim. I want these to last a long time and I dont like the over-faded look..I prefer subtler lines.

I like the pics of worn in PBJ XX-005 raw, Eternal 811, and Samurai S5000VX. I'm open to other thoughts.

My measurements on a favorite pair of jeans are:
Waist:32.5-33
Thigh: 12"
Front rise: 10.5"
Bottom: 9"

I don't want a pair of jeans that will give diminishing returns after 9 months of usage and I don't want tears...at least not for a long time.

Which would you chose given my preferences?

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
are you kidding me???

get some Crate or APC.

when you bought your firstt car was it a rolls royce??? You don't need to go striaght to the top.
dry denim might not be for you and then you are stuck with an expensive jean you will never wear.
Crate makes a banging product for a great price.
Listen to me son and you will be fine.

Mauro

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mauro makes a good point, but the jeans the OP listed are rather safe as far as the world of dry denim goes. I think you definitely want some raw denim experience before getting something like crazy fading flat heads or some of the 21 oz super heavy stuff from Iron Heart or Samurai, or the super streaky jeans that some brands have. Those are the kind of jeans that don't really appeal to everyone and could very well just sit in your closet if you don't like them. Between the three original choices I would pick the eternals, but I would do your wallet a favor first and get a pair of crates. APCs are the "standard" for a reason but I'm noticing that a lot of hipsters and **** wear them now so you probably want to try something different. unless you're a hipster.

younglaw

Reaction score
Thanks, yeah I'm definitely not a hipster. More of a preppy if anything...but I wouldn't put an exact label on my style.

The money isn't a huge issue. I was eyeing the Eternals the most, which really aren't that much more than Crates. I don't want to spend money for no reason...but it seems that the eternals will likely last longer than crates. Am I wrong with this assumption?

My line of thinking is this: I'd rather spend a little extra money for a pair of jeans that will last. You're right, I may not like the dry denim, but it seems like it will be a pain ********** to break in a new pair after I figure out that I do like them when I could have just done it right the first time.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
mauro,
NO!

this guy needs to buy top of the line PBJ's so when he gets tired of them he flips them ultra cheap on the B&S and I can buy them.

otherwise I am gonna have to sell a kidney or 20 pints of plasma.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no personal experience with Crate denim, but it looks like a good value. I'd say get the Eternals or Crates.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^lol

You are wrong to assume younglaw. Crate is one of the best jeans made specially for the price.
Don't be caught up thinking because it's made in Japan it's amazing or won't fall apart.
Best,
mauro

younglaw

Reaction score
I'll consider a pair of crates...looks like I'll need to try to find some pictures of ones that are worn in, which pair would you recommend, given my taste/size?

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
go to the crate thread or Sercert service web site and call the store.
Chad the designer/owner is there right now.
He is a cool cat and you will learn a lot.
Best,
mauro

ringring

Reaction score
Originally Posted by younglaw
It's my first pair of raw denim. I want these to last a long time and I dont like the over-faded look..I prefer subtler lines.

I like the pics of worn in PBJ XX-005 raw, Eternal 811, and Samurai S5000VX. I'm open to other thoughts.

My measurements on a favorite pair of jeans are:
Waist:32.5-33
Thigh: 12"
Front rise: 10.5"
Bottom: 9"

I don't want a pair of jeans that will give diminishing returns after 9 months of usage and I don't want tears...at least not for a long time.

Which would you chose given my preferences?

Your list of those three particularly fine jeans tells me that you've done careful research - these are the workhorses of their respective brands. Fine jeans each, very wearable (modern cuts, classic 501 vernacular).

Flip a coin, you'd be doing great with any of those - the only thing I would recommend is that if you choose the Eternal, try and get it in an unwashed (dry) pair, rather than the frequent one-wash state that it is often sold in.

Dry - because you may as well go the whole hog and get the entire shrink-to-fit experience.

I'm slightly envious. You're going to partake in a ritual that may open your eyes to a new appreciation for denim. Savour your experience. Everything. From estimating your size (they should almost fit you, with room for a few fingers between your waist and the waistband), the soak - the smell of the starch and the colour release, first yellow then bluey-green. The leg seams twisting before your eyes, and the curl of the hems and the water releases the tension held by the starch laden warp yarns. Putting them on damp, the crisp stiffness. Then comes the wear.

Enjoy the journey.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
I'd recommend the Eternals, but I'm biased because that is going to be my next pair. The Iron Heart recommendation was also a good one...those jeans will last you a lifetime.

younglaw

Reaction score
I've considered the Crates and like the finished product of the jeans I listed better, so I'm going to chose of them.

From the sizing listed it seems that PBJs are fairly tight in the crotch, eternals are in between and samurais are looser. I'm leaning more and more towards the eternal. I don't like my boys being crowded..but also don't want a saggy crotch.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ringring
Your list of those three particularly fine jeans tells me that you've done careful research - these are the workhorses of their respective brands. Fine jeans each, very wearable (modern cuts, classic 501 vernacular).

Flip a coin, you'd be doing great with any of those - the only thing I would recommend is that if you choose the Eternal, try and get it in an unwashed (dry) pair, rather than the frequent one-wash state that it is often sold in.

Dry - because you may as well go the whole hog and get the entire shrink-to-fit experience.

I'm slightly envious. You're going to partake in a ritual that may open your eyes to a new appreciation for denim. Savour your experience. Everything. From estimating your size (they should almost fit you, with room for a few fingers between your waist and the waistband), the soak - the smell of the starch and the colour release, first yellow then bluey-green. The leg seams twisting before your eyes, and the curl of the hems and the water releases the tension held by the starch laden warp yarns. Putting them on damp, the crisp stiffness. Then comes the wear.

Enjoy the journey.

You should write for penthouse.

P.S Wow a ringring post.

\tI've considered the Crates and like the finished product of the jeans I listed better, so I'm going to chose of them.

From the sizing listed it seems that PBJs are fairly tight in the crotch, eternals are in between and samurais are looser. I'm leaning more and more towards the eternal. I don't like my boys being crowded..but also don't want a saggy crotch.

Good. Starting off with starter denim is not going to help you with anything. My first denims were APCs and I don't even wear them. Anyway, it isn't your first car, it isn't your first musical instrument , it's just denim.

Recheck your initial stats. None of your jeans have a 9" hem, which is pretty big. The 005 is very slim and the eternal is not far behind. Assuming you are a size 32, both jeans will have hems that are more or less 8". The samurai is 8.5", which is pretty versatile. The rise is low on the 005 and 10.5 on the samurai VX. The eternal Im not sure.

If you are not used to slim jeans and just want some nice straight legged jeans, the VX is the way to go. It is the one I would choose. I'm wearing a similar pair of samurai's right now (5000BK) and I like them.

You might also be interested in the new contest jeans at Selfedge.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads