• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which IWC 3717-like watch?

quidquididest

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

The IWC Pilot's watches line has recently caught my eye - first the Mark XVI, but I find it a bit too small for my wrist, so I'm more into the Spitfire Chrono (3717-02)- or the Fliegerchrono (3717-01).

It seems that many cognoscenti have some form of mild disdain for the Spitfire Chrono, as it is somehow perceived a bastardization of the classic Pilot's Watch form. I have had both on my wrist, and they both look good on my wrist. However, I already have a (rather sporty) TAG Heuer chrono in black, so I would much rather have a watch in brown/silver tones. I also find the Spitfire a bit more dressy, which is a plus for me - it would work well as a watch worn with a suit.

Another option at IWC is the Portuguese Chronograph (3714-01 or -17), but a good friend of mine already has the 3714-01, and I don't want to be a copycat.

So, I am asking the watch-lovers here for opinions, or for options with a similar look and feel, and which don't completely break the bank (I'm neither in finance nor a doctor). I want a stylish timepiece, however, that I won't be fed up with after a short while. Another thing: I'm Swiss, so convincing me to buy a non-Swiss watch may be difficult ;-)

All help & opinions appreciated to the following questions:

Spitfire chrono:
74_061109162334_6.jpg

Flieger Chrono:
IWC3717Cla.jpg

3714-01
portugieser.jpg

3714-17
3714-17.jpg

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3714-17

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always liked the Flieger, it isn't as garish as the others. The portuguese really attracts attention on your wrist.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pilot's watches and Portuguese watches are really apples and oranges. The former is sporty (regardless of Spitfire dial or not), and the latter is dressier. I like both, but if you're looking for a "one watch" that will work with both suits and more casual clothing, I would go with the Portuguese. I can't see one of the pilot's chronographs working with a suit.

The pilot's watches are cool for casual wear, but I much prefer the Fliegerchrono to the Spitfire. The dial of the Spitfire is rather unattractive to my eye.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the portuguese. if you already have a sporty chrono in black then the port would surely be the best complement.
i had much the same decision to make and was erring toward the 3717 as my next purchase but both the saleslady in the shop and my gf pointed out that it was not dis-similar overall to the speedmaster i was wearing. i ended up going for the portuguese (although in rose gold)
i don't like the spitfire at all.

mercretas

Reaction score
I'm in love with the classic IWC pilots and am waiting to find the right deal on the Mark XVI. For some reason the chopped 10 on the Spitfires just gets under my skin and ruins the watch for me.

Bandit44

Reaction score
I prefer the sporty Flieger. Not a big fan of dressy chronos.

hst

Reaction score
I previously owned the 3714-01 Portugese Chrono. Now the 3717 Flieger. I prefer the latter - the matte black dial is very sporty. Not to say that the Flieger is much cheaper the than the Portuguese Chrono.

ralphdog

Reaction score
3714-17, I purchased it six months ago and admire it every day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads