• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Italian cities for vacation?

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Naples/Sorrento and Rome, Florence and Rome, or Venice and Milan? Total of 10 days.

Also, any hotel suggestions, espeically for Rome? Prefer location and value in a room.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
slight touch for Florence and Rome - one bigger city, one smaller but right in realm of the Tuscan wine region.

NY Times had a "save or splurge" section on Rome with a hotel suggestion in the Trastevere neighborhood. I can't comment on the hotel but I loved the neighborhood (gf had an apartment here when she was living in the city).

edit: the hotel in Trastevere is called the Hotel Trastevere.

Danmd340

Reaction score
What sort of value are you looking for? If relatively cheap, then check out Albergo Sole near Campo dei Fiori, great value and even better location. If you are staying in one place for 10 days I would consider renting an apartment if I were you, I've done it in Rome and it's absolutely worth every cent.

Siena is one of my favorite cities in Europe, I suggest you to visit if you are in Tuscany. Venice and Milan are vastly overrated during summertime, it gets way too crowded and there are more tourists than there are Italians. Venice was delightful during wintertime, though I don't mind the cold.

My best memories were made in Italy. I hope it turns out the same for you, have fun.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's your first visit to Italy, Florence and Rome is the obvious choice.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
If it's your first visit to Italy, Florence and Rome is the obvious choice.

Yes first time in Italy. Was leaning towards florence and rome and looks like thats the consensus.

Originally Posted by Danmd340
What sort of value are you looking for? If relatively cheap, then check out Albergo Sole near Campo dei Fiori, great value and even better location. If you are staying in one place for 10 days I would consider renting an apartment if I were you, I've done it in Rome and it's absolutely worth every cent.

Siena is one of my favorite cities in Europe, I suggest you to visit if you are in Tuscany. Venice and Milan are vastly overrated during summertime, it gets way too crowded and there are more tourists than there are Italians. Venice was delightful during wintertime, though I don't mind the cold.

My best memories were made in Italy. I hope it turns out the same for you, have fun.

Will probably split 6 days in Rome, 4 in Florence or something like that. Would prefer to keep it under $150 a night, but basically just want something clean and safe w/ wifi in a good location since it seems like getting around in Rome is a lot harder compared to cities like london or paris.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wherever you go, avoid the leaning tower of Pizza, to paraphrase Denis Farina.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
Wherever you go, avoid the leaning tower of Pizza, to paraphrase Denis Farina.

Really? why?

I booked florence and rome for 14 days to take my time. I was planning on a trip to pisa.

GSquared

Reaction score
Cinque Terre if you are able. Absolutely incredible. One of my favorite places. No more than 2 days, but incredible.

GSquared

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
Really? why?

I booked florence and rome for 14 days to take my time. I was planning on a trip to pisa.

I was in Pisa for 20 min... that was enough. 4 days in Florence may be a little long unless you are going to the countryside. It's surprisingly a really, really small city (Walked across the city in 15 minutes and didn't realize I was already at the far side of it).

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
or, rome, then one night in Siena, and the rest of the time in Florence. There are plenty of busses that go from Siena to Florence on a pretty consistent basis.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First time to Italy- no question, go to Rome and Florence. But try some day trips outside the city like food and wine tasting or group bike rides in the countryside.

Then on your second trip Milan and the train down the coast.

Racing Green

Reaction score
Rome and Naples for me no contest but then again I don't like Northern Italy, Milan is a dump.

As for Tuscany Pisa is very disappointing but Lucca is just up the road and that's great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics