1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Which is more respectable: inkjet art prints of famous paintings, or oil painting reproductions of

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by stylemeup, Mar 28, 2012.

1. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

I think I've mentioned before that I once attended a lecture by the head of the Victoria and Albert Museum authenticity department. He said the offices are decorated by the fakes bought by the museum over the past century, which includes a "Rubens" purchased in the 30s with female figures that to 21st century eyes very much resemble Mae West. He said a constant theme of forgeries is that they usually bear some contemporary styling, and that again and again arts institutions fall for their own desire to see the past painted as the present.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Yes! The best example I know of is Han van Meegeren. In hindsight, his "Vermeer" etc. paintings all have some clear art deco/Neue Sachlichkeit influences, which would give his buyers in thirties Holland and Germany the feeling of a connection to the Dutch golden age.

Göring was van Meegeren's most famous victim, which made him a post-war folk hero in Holland, and got him a very light sentence, which he cunningly died away from.

I'd really love to own a van Meegeren, except that the van Meegerens have also been forged, some by his son, so one has to be careful.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Original work by lesser known artists is certainly a way to go, but I enjoy mixing them in with limited run lithographs of much more famous works. I just enjoy some of the more famous Peices enough to want to display them. I know sf will turn their nose up at that, but I don't give a shit.

4. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Well, lithos and digital/inkjet/giclee prints are two different animals.

Lithography is a very old and well-established printing technique (abt. 1800) , whereas giclee is a twenty-odd year old invention. One of the most important differences, that influence a lot of how their authenticity is judged, is that a litho has an "original" stone "tablet" or printing-block, while a giclee print is just a technically advanced inkjet print. A litho tablet will eventually get worn out after typically around 300 prins, but a giclee (or for that matter, a serigraphy) can be reproduced infinitely. A litho table is not necessarily made of stone these days, but good quality art lithographs will generally still use stone tablets.

Only time in the secondary art market will show how giclee prints will be valued - it's still much too early to say that they're good investments.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  5. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Detail:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Start of humankind, before that we were monkeys. Are you a monkey?

7. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I happen to like pictures of dogs playing pool and poker on my wall. Originals are not readily available here, reproductions the only option. Some might think it's tacky, I don't.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012