• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

which is a better city: Chicago or New York?

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Less evolved. More ethnic. Actually, Bayless' food is very unevolved and ethnic in a great way (and others in Chicago are great but overly evolved), but still, I meant more ethnic restaurants.

Examples (in the Bay Area) to try?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Less evolved. More ethnic. Actually, Bayless' food is very unevolved and ethnic in a great way (and others in Chicago are great but overly evolved), but still, I meant more ethnic restaurants.

Matt, you can get mexican in chicago that you would think you had picked up in a small place in a niehgborhood of mexico city. not only that, you can get food like that in maybe 50 places around the city, at precies not a whole lot more than you would pay in mexico city.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Maybe this? vvv
Yes, that is what I meant. I was comparing Chicago Mexican food, about which I am obviously mistaken, to the exotic locales of Oakland, San Francisco, and San Jose.
Originally Posted by globetrotter
Matt, you can get mexican in chicago that you would think you had picked up in a small place in a niehgborhood of mexico city. not only that, you can get food like that in maybe 50 places around the city, at precies not a whole lot more than you would pay in mexico city.
Clearly I am mistaken. I take it back.
blush.gif
Originally Posted by kaxixi
Examples (in the Bay Area) to try?
Depends on what you want. La Palma is probably the best IMO. Also La Taqueria is excellent, and not really what its name would suggest. Dona Tomas in Oakland is great, too.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter

GT, can you post some more of your favorites in KWilk's thread?

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Sorry, but I have a really hard time believing there is not a single decent Indian restaurant in the five boroughs of New York City and only 3 hallowed grounds in the United States.

So this entire thread has devolved to eats and real estate values. Pretty limited analysis.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you want. La Palma is probably the best IMO. Also La Taqueria is excellent, and not really what its name would suggest. Dona Tomas in Oakland is great, too.

I wanted to try and understand what you mean. I'm in the Mission on occasion and will hit up La Palma.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back on topic.

Chicago frequently smells of chocolate. There is a factory upwind of downtown that makes the entire area smell like fresh baked brownies.

Chicago's architecture is also splendid. It is, overall, much more beautiful than New York, and the character of, for example LaSalle or South Michigan is unmatched.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Clearly I am mistaken. I take it back.
blush.gif

no problem, I am guessing that when a person comes into chicago for business good basic mexican isn't what he is looking for, when you live here it is different.

let me point out - for much of my life I considered NYC the cultural capital of the world, and I probrably still do in many ways. one thing that has definatly changed is my opinion of the availability of a wide range of good food in nyc, I found that disapointing.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
GT, can you post some more of your favorites in KWilk's thread?

sure, let me find kwik's thread

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is what I meant. I was comparing Chicago Mexican food, about which I am obviously mistaken, to the exotic locales of Oakland, San Francisco, and San Jose.
I thought your wife was Mexican? Probably another thing I misundertood...

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just linked to it above. Also, Matt, if you've got a favorite Mexican place or two in San Jose, I'd appreciate you posting them. I'm there frequently, and so far, haven't had too much luck. (Vietnamese, on the other hand... dayamn.)

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I thought your wife was Mexican? Probably another thing I misundertood...

Half, though she grew up away from the Mexican side. I've not spent much ime in Mexico, and she isn't that good a cook, so I'm just referring to food from CA. She did grow up in San Jose, and so I will ask her for recs.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's all the promiscuity. Sex ratio is much more favorable to men in NYC. If you are a single dude, NY > Chicago.

So you are saying that NYC is better because there are more prematurely aged, wrinkly faced women to ******** with?

And to be fair, I have started to notice this aging in a lot of major cities around the world, including Chicago. But not to the extent of NYC.

I have come to prefer smaller cities due to the quality of the women.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Sorry, but I have a really hard time believing there is not a single decent Indian restaurant in the five boroughs of New York City and only 3 hallowed grounds in the United States.

So this entire thread has devolved to eats and real estate values. Pretty limited analysis.

Decent. Yes. Good, no? At least nothing that I would consider being close to being good authentic Indian anyways.

Also, I am sure there is other good Indian food in the US, but I haven't been to all the big cities in the US nor have I tried all the possible restaurants. The probability of any average restaurant in the US serving good food is small however.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr. magoo

like he said^ sure, descent, but not that good.

if people are going to eat crap, why go to the problem of really cooking food well? that's the issue. most indian families have at least somebody who will get up at dawn to start making dinner, so you are looking at basic food that might take 15-18 hours to cook a meal. who wants to do taht kind of labor for 7.95 a dish, when the market will pay the same for crappy food?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads