1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

which is a better city: Chicago or New York?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by crazyquik, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Cavalier

Cavalier Senior member

A) I'm not a tourist, I own a place in Chicago.
    You and your Gold Coast neighbors are tourist chumps!!

2. binge

binge Senior member

I prefer NYC.

3. SField

SField Senior member

You and your Gold Coast neighbors are tourist chumps!!

Pathetic.

4. SField

SField Senior member

SField, you may want to revisit your (how to call it...) distinctive prose style in light of the new mod guidelines for behavior on the forum. I'm not sure starting half your posts calling people idiots and ending the other half calling them morons is going to work.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=103309

You gonna taddle tale?

5. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

In terms of academia (i am super geek boy, so this $hit concerns me)... i tend to think University of Chicago is better than Columbia and NYU. Although Columbia and UofC are pretty close. ok.. just my 2 cents. More Nobel Prizes in Economics out of Univ Chicago than anywhere else. [​IMG]

Yes--see the mess they got us into[​IMG]

6. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

NYC for academics and better culinary diversity.

7. SField

SField Senior member

Wouldn't Northwestern and UChicago be superior to NYU and Columbia?

8. Milhouse

Milhouse Senior member

There is something else I've noticed. Every time I went out in New York, the girls that were in their mid to late 20s looked about 10 years older. I started looking around at women in general, and it seemed to hold true for all of them. I'm not sure if it is pollution, or stress, or something else, but damn, New York seems to really prematurely age women.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You gonna taddle tale?
    No, why would I do that? I prefer to let you know directly, as I doubt you had seen Brian's post.

EDIT: oops, just saw that you've been timed out for either calling him a moron or for calling me a whiny bitch, both being completely unnecessary. Conversation to resume in a couple days (assuming you can control your ITG compulsions)

10. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

seriously, does anybody who has spent serious time in both believe that nyc is better for culinary diversity? I mean, that his the myth, but I don't believe it is true. nyc has better chinese, chicago better vietnamese, mexican, indian and italian. nyc better bagels, chicago better german. nyc better ny style pizza, chicago better chicago style pizza.

11. gdl203

Globe - did you use to live in NYC?

12. globetrotter

Globe - did you use to live in NYC?

no, and I don't live in chicago now, but I lived in a very close suburb to nyc and now I live in a very close suburb to chicago. and for about 20 years I'd get to nyc a few times a year for business.

my personal feeling is that the "culinary diversity" of nyc is vastly over-rated - nyc does some things very well, but they are new york things - pastrami and corned beef, bagels, ny style pizza, ny style chinese, etc. ny city gets some trends before the rest of the country - like soup dumplings, for instance. but in general I think that nyc is vastly overrated in terms of culinary diversity.

on top of that, even in greater ny - if you want really good chinese or indian or mexican, you end up leaving the city - nj has better chinese and indian than nyc, for instance.

13. gdl203

Cool - I certainly don't have the palate you have for ethnic foods. I tend to stick to a handful of places I like and am pretty happy with in NYC (most of them are probably not very authentic either). I never really traveled to other neighborhoods or boroughs to seek authentic ethnic food, but I know that there are large communities coming from pretty much everywhere in the 5 boroughs and I hear people praise such and such restaurant in Flushing or in Spanish Harlem. I couldn't be bothered to go to such lengths.

14. Cavalier

Cavalier Senior member

Pathetic.
    It's funny how you think owning an apartment qualifies you as a local?? Your neighborhood is full of people with a little $$ from other cities, and is the most gentrified/fake place in Chicago. You're that dense? Do you really like hanging out like a creep at the hotel bars that much? Or just love all the tourists and great chain restaurants in your neighborhood??

15. globetrotter

I tend to stick to a handful of places I like and am pretty happy with in NYC (most of them are probably not very authentic either.

I think that that is one of the huge strengths of NYC - its one of only a handful of cities in the world with so much available pretty much where ever you are in the city. in most of the world, you just assume that you aren't going to find ethiopian or vietnamese or senegalese food, when you are in NYC it is assumed that you will have it, and you get into discussions of the quality or authenticity of it.

that said, there are cities in the US with better food, in my opinion, or at least better ethnic food. it seems to me that NYC thinks it does ethinc food better than it really does.

16. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

finding good indian in nyc is tough. Hell, one has to hunt even in NJ to find good tasting Indian.

17. globetrotter

finding good indian in nyc is tough. Hell, one has to hunt even in NJ to find good tasting Indian.

yeah, I used to go to Edison, and that was so so

18. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

yeah, I used to go to Edison, and that was so so
    I grew up in Edison, and there is a total of 1 place I would go to get Indian food. Its a punjabi place right in the middle of Indiatown, but they don't serve punjabi food. Only parathas (aloo and mooli), samosa chats, chole bature, etc. Everything else in Edison/Iselin is crap. Damn I miss that place. What are the place you like in Chicago? I actually haven't had the chance to eat much Indian in Chicago, but I have heard that Tiffin on Devon is good. Any ideas?

19. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Name me places in the US with GREAT indian food (I'm genuinely curious, I'm ok with Brick Lane level anyway).

20. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

Name me places in the US with GREAT indian food (I'm genuinely curious, I'm ok with Brick Lane level anyway).
    Of all the places in the US where I have had eaten Indian food, only about 3-4 places come to mind that serve delicious food. Jassi's Sweets: Iselin, NJ (in the heart of India town). Very authentic, they serve the food exactly how it should be served. Parathas with raita, onions, chili, and pickle on the side. And to top it off, butter. Their aloo parathas are heavenly, and the portions are excellent. Laziz Biryani corner: Mom and pop shop here in Raleigh, NC. They have a small restaurant (not sure you can even call it that), literally inside another convenient store. The biryani served here is the best biryani I have ever had (and I grew up in India). At $6 and huge portions, this place might as well have the best deal in all of the US. I eat here about 4 times a week on average. There is a place that serves excellent and authentic South Indian food somewhere near San Fran. I think its in Fremont, but I don't exactly remember. The dosas are delicious, and served the way they are meant to be: with 3 different chutneys (tomato, coconut, some other concoction) + sambhar. I can find out the name of this place later. That's about it. Globe probably has more recommendations.