1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

which is a better city: Chicago or New York?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by crazyquik, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Kiwi Man

Kiwi Man Senior member

Rosie put it best "Chicago is like New York LITE"

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Thanks guys. I visit NYC about every year and I have a blast every time. But again, it's for 3-4 days, not 2+ years. Never been to Chicago before I intend on visiting soon. One large draw to Chicago is that I can keep my car. Whereas in NYC, no way I would want my car. Car plays a factor because I just purchased it (2011 Legacy).

Oddly enough, Today i had an impromptu conversation with the NY hiring manager and he basically sold me on the job in NYC. I've got the greenlight just for NYC. Waiting to hear back from Chi....

Stitch, we will have to meet up eventually. It'll be super awkward when we realize the person is nothing like the SF'er

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Watching the Bulls vs Celtics game on TNT. If Chicago wins, I'll move there. Maybe..

4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

you should defo go to see chicago before you decide. they are both great cities, but a different atmosphere. best to experience them both before deciding.

we certainly should meet one day. you will find i am exactly as you think i am. or not. ask spoo, see what he says lol.

i usually visit chicago and NYC at least once a year each or more. once you settle in whatever city you choose, we shall hopefully meet on my next visit.

:laugh:

5. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

When I first started in NYC it was with a similar salary and it was fairly tough to have a balanced lifestyle on that kind of money. Living in the area you want, in a building and apartment that doesn't suck, and doing the things you want to do (restaurants, nightlife, travel, etc) all becomes very difficult on that budget. It's doable, but not ideal.

That said, I'd much rather live in NYC, but I have a LOT of things keeping me here.

You should visit Chicago before making a final decision.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  6. DannyJman

DannyJman Well-Known Member

i've been to new york but not chicago.. I have to admit New York maybe the ' One of the Caps of the world ' but it was just not what it seemed, visiting Chicago this summer - hopfully i would get a better perception of it.

7. DannyJman

Yeah - It is confirmed that i will arrive in Chicago Early Next month early for 2 weeks, Hopefully it has a good impression.

8. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

Having lived in both cities, I will say that Chicago is 80% of the city at 40% of the cost. Some people need that extra 20%. For reference, Boston is 35%of the city at 70% of the cost.

9. DannyJman

Thanks for letting us know, Chicago seems pretty badass! and Cheap for the full benefits.

10. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

That's my take on it. I think we can objectively say NY has more of everything but what one person needs all that for the added cost of living there? Plus as Globe said Chicago actually seems like a real place as there are actual families around not just legions of 25yr old analysts high on cocaine.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

+1. I love NY and visit whenever I can, but I'd much prefer to live in Chicago.

12. grizzlybear

grizzlybear Senior member

13. matik23

matik23 Senior member

Looks any other metropolis. It's like saying the beaches of Cali are better than the beaches of Florida. They both have sand and water and ass.

If you want to save money, go to Chicago. If you like spending more money for less, go to NYC.

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

Quote:
    NYC squirrels agree.

[​IMG]

lefty

15. GraphicTeeShirt

GraphicTeeShirt Member

No. Columbia is way, way better than Chicago, and has way more national and international impact. Not that I'm biased, or anything [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Undergrad, yes. Law school, no. :)

17. deepitm

deepitm Senior member

First things first, it's rather alarming how many people have weighed in here who have said "I haven't ever been to Chicago, but..." Go to Chicago. Maybe then your opinion will mean something. Also, get out and visit the US. If you haven't been to Chicago, where else haven't you been? It's a big country, so get out there and see it.

Second, the question of NYC vs Chicago is going to boil down to different strokes for different folks. My wife and I were looking at NYC a year ago because I was switching firms and she was beginning residency. My brother and sister both live in NYC and most of my friends from college are out there, but ultimately we decided to stay in Chicago.

I guess I will go thru some of our pro/cons in deciding:

Chicago pros:
    -Costs of living are low. My place is way nicer than my brothers and costs way less and I live in the most expensive part of Chicago and he lives in Brooklyn.
    -Having a car is not a pain
    -Lots of good jobs
    -Good grad school options in Northwestern and UChicago
    -Good professional sports, venues are easy to get to
    -Hot dogs
    -Italian beef
    -Mexican food
    -People are nice
    -Nice suburbs if you want to make the move
    -Very nice commuter rail system
    -Big airports both accessible via public transit
    -Blues
    -Not too difficult to become a big fish in what is quite a big pond

Chicago cons:
    -Locals have annoying accents
    -Having a car is easy therefore traffic is bad
    -Weather is bad
    -Corruption
    -Midwestern rubes
    -Sales tax is very high
    -Bad Chinese food

New York pros:
    -The best jobs are here
    -There is just more of everything
    -Better shopping, more high end places to get the finest things
    -Better pizza
    -Better Chinese
    -Lots of very smart people from the best schools
    -Subway can get you anywhere
    -Columbia and NYU
    -Beautiful women and lots of them
    -Big airports
    -More old buildings
    -A 24 hour city

New York cons:
    -Everyone's success is thrown in your face and it becomes a lot of "keeping up with the Joneses"
    -Locals have annoying accents
    -People are totally inconsiderate (one of my biggest pet peeves of NYC and something that definitely had a strong influence on my not moving there. there are just so many people there who don't understand propriety, decorum, rules, politeness, etc., or worse, people who know the rules and just don't think they apply to them).
    -Island nature of NYC makes it very hard to get out of the city quickly, cheaply, easily
    -Smells
    -Is loud
    -Weather almost as bad as Chicago
    -East coast snobs
    -Extremely competitive
    -Grocery shopping is a huge inconvenience
    -Income taxes

18. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

It costs $2 to get to NJ from any number of spots in NYC. Don't like NJ, then try Metro North or LIRR and you're done.

-1 on this. It is different than suburbia, however. Elsewhere you take your car, spend 3 hours at the grocery store, and load up a giant shopping cart with food that will last a week. In NYC, you get enough food to last two day (maybe 3) and just carry the two or three bags with you on your way home from work.