• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Hat Style Is More Stylish For Summer Wear?

Which hat type is more stylish for summer wear?

• Hat 1

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Hat 2

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

mixedmajik

Reaction score
Hi,

Really hot summer at times and even if it wasn't I don't like the sun. I also don't fancy large hats like the panama since my head isn't gigantic enough. Thus, I was wondering whether a white fedora or a white "insert hat name I don't know" is more "timeless" for man to wear? Also can someone fill me in on what the actual name for the second hat is?

Here are pictures of the two hat styles I'm deciding between. Do note I am assuming straw is the best summer hat option in terms of material but if it is not please correct me:

White straw fedora (Hat 1)

White ????? hat (Hat 2)

Thank you kindly.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

mixedmajik

Reaction score

Well I am a student on a budget but down-market is a pretty negative descriptor haha so that said, what kind of material in these hat styles are better to be looking at for summer wear? I can spend a bit more if I have to...just nothing over 50USD (or 60ish CAD) since I don't really like wearing hats a whole lot, but as of right now in summer it is getting a bit ridiculous going around without one. Thanks.

I also take it from your post that either or hat is fine for summer wear since you didn't state that one is definitely the more "classic gentleman" hat to wear than the other...

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nothing is fashionable in the sense you mean but a base ball cap for a student. A panama for your grand father.

mixedmajik

Reaction score
I meant university student, not high school. As of right now I wear mostly polos and dress shirts now so the baseball cap might clash with the style but maybe you're right in that there might not be an alternative here that won't estrange me.

Hypothetically though if I was...in my 30's and a graduate/non-student...what hat would you be recommending? I may or may not apply your answer a decade in advance
cool.gif

Last edited:

Tropicalist

Reaction score

I meant university student, not high school. As of right now I wear mostly polos and dress shirts now so the baseball cap might clash with the style but maybe you're right in that there might not be an alternative here that won't estrange me.

Hypothetically though if I was...in my 30's and a graduate/non-student...what hat would you be recommending? I may or may not apply your answer a decade in advance :cool:

The reality is there is only one elegant summer hat which is a panama from equator. Wear it with a high crown and broad brim and a lot of panache at any age

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well I am a student on a budget but down-market is a pretty negative descriptor haha so that said, what kind of material in these hat styles are better to be looking at for summer wear? I can spend a bit more if I have to...just nothing over 50USD (or 60ish CAD) since I don't really like wearing hats a whole lot, but as of right now in summer it is getting a bit ridiculous going around without one. Thanks.

I also take it from your post that either or hat is fine for summer wear since you didn't state that one is definitely the more "classic gentleman" hat to wear than the other...

Down market is a polite code word for not very respectable looking.
Neither approaches the classic gentleman that SF celebrates, budget notwithstanding.

Something like this is what I mean:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/produ...source=googleproductads&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=

My guess is that you would be able to find a hat like this at a much lower price..

Last edited:

mixedmajik

Reaction score
Oh okay thanks. I'll look for a hat like that with a 4" crown and 2" brim since it doesn't look overly large. I don't know why but to me most panama hats just seem so over-sized...as if it is part of a costume or something. They also remind me of safari hats which I dislike immensely. However, thoughts like these are the reason I know I have so much more to learn about classic style.

Captain O

Reaction score
Oh okay thanks. I'll look for a hat like that with a 4" crown and 2" brim since it doesn't look overly large. I don't know why but to me most panama hats just seem so over-sized...as if it is part of a costume or something. They also remind me of safari hats which I dislike immensely. However, thoughts like these are the reason I know I have so much more to learn about classic style.

Look to the Stetson Haberdash. This can be had from Fashionable Hats for less than $40.00 A 1.75" brim with a nice-looking crown. Take a peek and see if it is right for you.

Captain O

Reaction score
I just bought a Cayman Hat from Sunday Afternoons. This would serve you well. It looks much like the Toyo paper/polyester hat from Village Hat Company. Sunday Afternoons has the Cayman hat in Cream White and Light Tan color

The cost? $30.00 shipped to your door. (You'll like it).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads