• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which exotic leather is most durable?

SnowKING

Reaction score
I have a list of exotic animals used for small leather goods.

Stingray
Crocodile / Alligator
Kangaroo
Ostrich

I wanted to know from this list, which exotic would last me years. A high quality wallet made of croc/gator would cost me somewhere around $750 to $1500 depending on whether I them gator/croc interior/exterior. As for the other exotics animals listed, it won't cost as much as gator/crocodile. I read somewhere that exotic stingray leather is resistant to water, fire, puncture, tearing, scuffs, and abrasion. Its a tough decision for me only because I don't plan to buy another wallet but only if I lose it which I doubt because I never lost my wallet in my entire life. Of course, I'll have a hole punctured in my wallet so i'll have it leashed onto me at all times. I became accustomed to having my wallet in my front pockets due to paranoia that may cause serious back problems if I kept my wallet in my back pocket. This wallet will have sentimental value.

Please share your opinions,

thanks.

Last edited:

Quantimil

Reaction score
Any of them would last you many years. But if I had to estimate, stingray or kangaroo would most likely be the toughest materials. Stingray because of the extremely dense, hard scales that make it like armor, and kangaroo is reportedly the toughest of the smooth leathers. Alligator, though hard, tends to crack with age I've heard. I wouldn't pick ostrich simply because I don't like the look of it... but that's probably just me.

Here is some further discussion: http://www.styleforum.net/t/50941/durability-of-exotic-skins

SnowKING

Reaction score
Any of them would last you many years. But if I had to estimate, stingray or kangaroo would most likely be the toughest materials. Stingray because of the extremely dense, hard scales that make it like armor, and kangaroo is reportedly the toughest of the smooth leathers. Alligator, though hard, tends to crack with age I've heard. I wouldn't pick ostrich simply because I don't like the look of it... but that's probably just me.

Here is some further discussion: http://www.styleforum.net/t/50941/durability-of-exotic-skins
I should probably go with stingray but its a tough decision. I found that Dust is one of the main reasons for dryness, and dryness is what causes cracking in skins. Does this apply to all other type of exotic leathers?

source : http://www.thecrocdocshop.com/faq.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics