1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Which ethnic group(s) tip best?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Pantisocrat, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

As an Asian, maybe I should start tipping less if that's what's expected of me.

No! Break down that stereotype!

2. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

Really?
    My friend said women are cheap asses, and men tip much better.
    BUT that could be because she's a girl lol

No, my experience was that men tip much better on average and are more willing to overlook a mistake on your part.

Just like society

Go f**k yourself.

I disagree with the OP. Asians are definitely not the best tippers.

FOB ones, no. American ones & Koreans are pretty great.

Or maybe race has nothing to do with it? except the fucking Swiss, the lot of em deserve to die with their little cuckoo clocks and their shitty cheese. The real nation of tippers is the Dutch. [​IMG]

There has actually been research on this (I believe a UNC study?). Black people, in America, are very poor tippers and are the most likely to complain about service. It's like the chicken & the egg.

3. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
  4. intent

intent Senior member

No! Break down that stereotype!
    It got me thinking: Why should I bother to "break the stereotype"? If the server is a little bitch, he'll expect me to tip less and thus serve me substandardly expecting a small tip. Tipping after the meal won't change the afore-consumed meal, and places where tipping really matters won't be visited by me enough times to build a rapport.

5. Icarus

Icarus Senior member

White American homosexuals are an enthnic group now?

Consistently, I'm not sure who tips best and where. The last time a conversation about tips was started, it was in Switzerland, and the conclusion was that the highest tips given were by Ruskis. Stuff like tipping 500 on a 1000 bill all the time. They like to go to courchevel and Gstaad to ski.

I know some Jews who overtip to make up for stereotypes...

Also, the Japanese were quite the tippers in the 70s and 80s

6. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    It got me thinking: Why should I bother to "break the stereotype"? If the server is a little bitch, he'll expect me to tip less and thus serve me substandardly expecting a small tip. Tipping after the meal won't change the afore-consumed meal, and places where tipping really matters won't be visited by me enough times to build a rapport.
    My father started tipping before his meals about 10 years ago...he raves about how well that works

7. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

There's a socioeconomic tipping divide in the black community. More affluent, educated blacks tip on par with their white peers. This especially true of blacks who have educated parents.

My grandparents weren't allowed to eat at most restaurants, and those they could eat in were basically someone's kitchen with a counter or a couple tables. How were they going to teach their kids tipping etiquette? My mom learned in college, and it was re-enforced through her diverse peer group.

Black tipping will get better. The biggest problem now is indiferent service given to blacks because of the preconceived notion that they're gonna be bad tippers. Chicken/Egg.

8. inq89

inq89 Senior member

Filipino here and I always tip at least 15%, 20% if I was impressed. So....yeah

9. Monaco

Monaco Senior member

I used to work a pretty 'ritz'y place and the general consensus between the co-workers was that middle easterners tipped the worst. What do I think?

10. willpower

willpower Senior member

11. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

Canadians under the European heading aside; I was talking to some friends from the states and they said it was a common stereotype to label Canadians as lousy tippers. (One worked in a restaurant, and it was practice to say any poor tipper was a Canuck.)

Is this stereotype prevalent? I mean, I hadn't heard of it until I was 20 or so. (And usually we Canadians are up to date on any anti-canadian things, we often adopt them as our own. Noone makes fun of Canada quite like a Canadian.

12. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I am black and make decent $$$ so I overtip to compensate

Its like white ppl who go out of their way to befriend other cultures out of fear of being seen as intolerant or out of touch

13. 3+2=5

3+2=5 New Member

Someone said europeans.
    You might be onto something, some countries, like the one I Live in (Norway) tipping is not a part of our everyday life. We do it in restaurants only.

I guess it has something to do with how much everyone earns. The waiters can live on the salary. They usually earn around 20$ an hour and then the tip on top. [​IMG]

So everytime we travel, we have to remember that the people there might need the tip. And adjust to that.

14. Snakepit

Snakepit New Member

I find this thread ridiculous. I'd understand it if the "poll" was about which culture tips the most. (As in countries/regions where people are generally well off.) Suggesting that ones skin-color determines how I/you tip is offensive at least. It's the society that you've been brought up in, the religious views that you follow and so forth that'll decide what you'll do in your adult life, not your skin-color.

If skin-color was the decisive factor, it would be fair to say that all people (male) of african heritage sport 10" penises and so forth..

15. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Depends how americanized the asians and europeans are. The americanized ones tip pretty well. The fobby asians tip like shit. Hispanics tip well? The fuck did that come from? Maybe the well off ones but even the ones in office parks i used to deliver to didn't tip well. Black people? Ugh. I just chalked that one up as a loss when i was delivering for Jimmy Johns in tallahassee even though a lot of my stuff was to big office building parks.

A lot of it you might be better able to break it down by social/economic class though.

The best group of tippers i've encountered is college kids. Always consistent. Never get stiffed by them and some of them tip well. Not like baller tippping but always a few whole dollars. These nerdy college kids who i'm sure chose their apt based purely on the street name (Battle Mountain Rd) ordered once a day all the time sometimes twice. Would always split the order and 3 people totalling like $20 would tip like $3-5 each. Was awesome. They were weird as shit always listening to weird nerd metal, talking about mmos and once answered the door in an iron man mask

The best tip i got was $15 on a $10 order because this giant prehistoric looking screaming bug flew into this college girl's apt and she slammed the door and screamed. I let myself in and caught the bug in some tupperware and threw it outside and she and her roomate just opened their wallet and started shoveling money at me lol

I dont' know about restaurant tipping as i've never waited tables only delivered

16. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

How about this instead.

What ethnicity are you? How much do you tip?

No additional info, pls.

Cracker, I tip well.

17. Kai

Kai Senior member

Based solely on 3 of years as a waiter, part of that at a TGI Fridays, and part of that at a somewhat nicer establishment, here are the stereotypes/prejudices that I developed:

Black people were consistently very good tippers. I don't think I ever received a crappy tip from a black person, male or female.

1 woman alone tips poorly. 2-3 women tip well. 4 or more women = a really lousy tip.

Smokers tip better than non smokers.

People who drink whiskey are good tippers.

Anyone out on a date tends to tip well.

Europeans tend to tip poorly. Middle Easterners also tend to tip poorly.

College kids out drinking don't tip well.

Middle aged men are pretty consistent 15-20% tippers

White rednecks tip well.

And lastly, on a more introspective note:

Good service has a strong correlation to good tips. Generally, the better service I provided, the better the tips on average. There were exceptions to this, however, I definitely made better tips when I was on top of my game.

18. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or