1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Which Embroidery for Velvet Slippers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bigbris1, Aug 4, 2009.

1. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

I've always been drawn to velvet slippers & smoking jackets and am about to embark on commissioning my first pair from the Del Toro boys after doing much research. Question is, which one of their many designs should I go for on the vamp?

I was leaning toward my initials which would require a 3-4 month wait, but if I chose one of the other designs it should be a bit quicker. What should I get? (Not [screw] U, Bill)

Thanks

2. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I'm surprised they don't have a pig, which could be fun. Do you have any particularly strong association with one of the ready designs? If not, maybe just plain.

3. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Just go for your initials, it's worth the wait.

4. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

No half-measures. If you're going for embroidery go for THE most obnoxious that they offer. I have a pair with cornets on them. My wife absolutely despises them. They are great!! Personally I like the horney bull one (under Farm Animals): [​IMG] Or perhaps one of these crest ones under "Patriotic Designs" [​IMG] Remember, this is no time to half-ass it. I might even reconsider the screw you design.

5. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

As you may know, they recently changed their stock slipper, going from a quilted to a leather lining. I only mention this because if you wanted the quilted lining it is still available at shoebuy dot com (although only in plain toe).

Regardless, please post pics when you get them.

6. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I've always been drawn to velvet slippers & smoking jackets and am about to embark on commissioning my first pair from the Del Toro boys after doing much research. Question is, which one of their many designs should I go for on the vamp?

I was leaning toward my initials which would require a 3-4 month wait, but if I chose one of the other designs it should be a bit quicker. What should I get? (Not [screw] U, Bill)

Thanks

Have you already gotten the smoking jacket?

7. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

As you may know, they recently changed their stock slipper, going from a quilted to a leather lining. I only mention this because if you wanted the quilted lining it is still available at shoebuy dot com (although only in plain toe).

I actually didn't know this. Thanks for posting it. I have a quilted version of the Del Toro, but it is the plain version.

Here's an older pic of the ones I'm wearing right now. They're from Bullock & Jones (San Francisco) but I believe are made by either Shipton Hennage or another English maker. I can't ever keep that straight.

[​IMG]

Aren't they obnoxious?

8. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

Yes, they are wonderfully obnoxious.

If I remember correctly, there was a decent thread at the accursed other clothing website that described different makers. Might be worthwhile to track it down.

9. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

I have always been fond of the dollar sign slippers from Stubbs and Wootton.

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Initials. It is worth the wait.

[​IMG]

11. Jeff Naylor

Jeff Naylor Senior member

Yes, they are wonderfully obnoxious.

If I remember correctly, there was a decent thread at the accursed other clothing website that described different makers. Might be worthwhile to track it down.

This one I think is the one you're talking about.

12. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

I'm surprised they don't have a pig, which could be fun. Do you have any particularly strong association with one of the ready designs? If not, maybe just plain.

My first thought was to go to the food section hoping to find a Scotch glass because of my strong ties to alcohol and the only thing close was the Martini glass. May have to draw something up & send it to them.

Just go for your initials, it's worth the wait.

This will be the default, if I don't settle on a motif.

No half-measures. If you're going for embroidery go for THE most obnoxious that they offer. I have a pair with cornets on them. My wife absolutely despises them. They are great!!

Personally I like the horney bull one (under Farm Animals):
    [​IMG]

Or perhaps one of these crest ones under "Patriotic Designs"
    [​IMG]

Remember, this is no time to half-ass it. I might even reconsider the screw you design.

Yes, I agree. Have to go balls to the wall on this, thanks!

Hi there, first post on these forums by myself. I'm an AAAC member, and have been a SF lurker. This thread sparked me to sign up and comment.

I completely agree with Mark on this one. Something completely obnoxious is only fitting. I say that you have no choice but to get the XX embroidered on them with a caption below stating: "Stay thirsty my friends."

I look forward to future posts here.

Welcome, friend!

Yes, I actually prefer the leather lined versions and am glad I waited.

Have you already gotten the smoking jacket?

Still looking, there should be a thread forthcoming.

This one I think is the one you're talking about.

Thanks Jeff, those threads from the good Doc where extremely informative. Those Del Toro guys should send him something special for that. Seriously.

13. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Initials. It is worth the wait. [​IMG]
    Thanks PSG, your pic & the fact that your wife bought them for you as a gift will help me our big time here. I told my wife yesterday while in the park that I was going to buy some $200 slippers & she looked at me like I had 3 heads. Maybe something like this: [​IMG] or [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. ohm

ohm Senior member

Thanks PSG, your pic & the fact that your wife bought them for you as a gift will help me our big time here. I told my wife yesterday while in the park that I was going to buy some $200 slippers & she looked at me like I had 3 heads.

Maybe something like this:

[​IMG]

This or your initials (but I'd prefer initials).

15. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

You could have them embroider spots, as if you've spilled your scotch.

16. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

That's why I like the first glass pic I posted. Maybe that & incorporate a cigar [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

I wonder if these come on the 888 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Maybe I'll just do tassels [​IMG]

18. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

19. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I didn't know you lived in Hamilton Heights/Harlem. You definitely need to wear these on runs to the deli.

20. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

I didn't know you lived in Hamilton Heights/Harlem. You definitely need to wear these on runs to the deli.

Yup, and sitting on the stoop drinking Scotch.