• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Which documents briefcase should I get?

kev647

Reaction score
I would like to keep the price for my new document briefcase sub 3k and here are the ones that have really captured my attention. I don't care so much if it is flashy or showy (hence the Epi leather line is included in the pictures). What I'm really looking for is exceptionally craftsmanship, non-leather (leather trim is fine), and something that could hold an iPad and some paper documents. I dress in suits and ties for my work and I would like this to compliment the rest of my attire.

As some background, I'm looking for non-leather because of the weather we have where I live (so much rain). Up until now, I have been using a nylon Prada messenger bag and am looking to move to a more briefcase style bag (handles) and I'm also looking to grow up from the nylon all together.

Of the three items pictured bags here, which would you think would be best? And if you think there is a better bag out there, which would you recommend? LV has always had a special place for me since I was young and at the moment, I only own a tie from them.

Your input and insight is greatly appreciated!!

Macassar monogram

Damier

Epi (leather, but priced about the same as the other and could work)

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would like to keep the price for my new document briefcase sub 3k...(snip)

Important to set a reasonable budget to stop things from getting out of hand

Last edited:

kev647

Reaction score
I would like to keep the price for my new document briefcase sub 3k...(snip)

Important to set a reasonable budget to stop things from getting out of hand

Haha. Indeed. My initial budget was about 2k but it really excluded some of the nicer bags out there. I will still try to keep it as low as possible.

kev647

Reaction score

Very importantly, where do you work?
I manage a department of information services and work with executive offices. Aside from my staff that reports to me, the other individuals I work with are mostly VPs.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would like to keep the price for my new document briefcase sub 3k and here are the ones that have really captured my attention. I don't care so much if it is flashy or showy (hence the Epi leather line is included in the pictures). What I'm really looking for is exceptionally craftsmanship, non-leather (leather trim is fine), and something that could hold an iPad and some paper documents. I dress in suits and ties for my work and I would like this to compliment the rest of my attire.
As some background, I'm looking for non-leather because of the weather we have where I live (so much rain). Up until now, I have been using a nylon Prada messenger bag and am looking to move to a more briefcase style bag (handles) and I'm also looking to grow up from the nylon all together.
Of the three items pictured bags here, which would you think would be best? And if you think there is a better bag out there, which would you recommend? LV has always had a special place for me since I was young and at the moment, I only own a tie from them.
Macassar monogram

Damier

None of them. I prefer all leather classical briefcases. For example, this one from Ottino in Florence.
I have it in brown. It is over 25 years old and the lock still works.

http://www.ottino.com/galleria.html

(Scroll to the second page. Third picture on the top)

Last edited:

kev647

Reaction score
Macassar monogram

Damier

None of them. I prefer all leather classical briefcases. For example, this one from Ottino in Florence.
I have it in brown. It is over 25 years old and the lock still works.

http://www.ottino.com/galleria.html

(Scroll to the second page. Third picture on the top)

Thanks! I checked them out and they look pretty good. 25yrs is impressive for reliability IMHO. They seem a bit more relaxed and I like the structural integrity of the LV (they keep their shape well). I may have to do some more thinking here...

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 58 17.8%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 110 33.7%
  • 8”

Votes: 96 29.4%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 11.0%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%