• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which do you preffer for summer suits

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Light wool first and foremost during the week. Some cotton on less formal days. Silk looks great but it attracts attention.

Mohair blends for evening.

Linen for weekends, along with silk when I don't have the steel to wear it during the week.

Will

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my tailors showed me some wonderful Zegna wool crepe yesterday. It was a navy blue with pinstripes. Wonderful stuff.

He also showed me some great kid mohair and wool blends. They weren't shiny at all, and I think they would be great for Hawaii weather.

I'd get linen, but it wrinkles way too damn easy. I'd get silk, but then I'd get stared at. I'd get cotton, but again, there's the wrinkling issue.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What's wrong with being stared at in Slik?
huh.gif
Surley it means you are dressed well
biggrin.gif

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
To paraphrase Beau Brummel, if someone turns to look at you you are not well dressed.
I'm sure most people in the US South, or North in the UK would stare at you if you wore black-tie dress (for the apropriate occasion), does that mean you are not well dressed?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I'm sure most people in the US South, or North in the UK would stare at you if you wore black-tie dress (for the apropriate occasion), does that mean you are not well dressed?
No, the American South is now pretty civilized. They started paving their roads, and even got running water about ten years ago.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(Styleman @ Feb. 22 2005,15:20) I'm sure most people in the US South, or North in the UK would stare at you if you wore black-tie dress (for the apropriate occasion), does that mean you are not well dressed?
No, the American South is now pretty civilized. They started paving their roads, and even got running water about ten years ago.
And the world's largest yacht show, symphony orchestras, etc... Jon.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
(Manton @ Feb. 22 2005,15:28)
Originally Posted by Styleman,Feb. 22 2005,15:20
No, the American South is now pretty civilized. Â They started paving their roads, and even got running water about ten years ago.
I don't think that Miami, Boca, etc. is a true rep. of the 'American South'
wink.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
(imageWIS @ Feb. 22 2005,20:35)
Originally Posted by Manton,Feb. 22 2005,15:28
Originally Posted by Styleman,Feb. 22 2005,15:20
No, the American South is now pretty civilized. Â They started paving their roads, and even got running water about ten years ago.

I don't think that Miami, Boca, etc. is a true rep. of the 'American South' Â
wink.gif

Maybe not, but Charleston and Savannah and Richmond are, to say nothing of Atlanta and Knoxville and ... you get the idea.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Manton, what are your feelings towards seersucker?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Love it in theory, have yet to try it in practice. I think I will some day, though.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
same here. I used to have some silk sumer suits, now I stick to light wool. maybe next time I need some sumer suits I will try seersucker

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like seersucker better on weekends.

If I can try to pull several of these sub-threads together, you won't be stared at in Kentucky if you're wearing a seersucker suit at a horse race. Although they might stare at you at a boat show.

Will

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the Indiana summer:

Linen
Lightweight wool 1/4 lined
cotton

The problem comes once I step in to the building and the air conditioning hits me. It might as well still be winter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads