• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which criterions to use when choosing a sweater

mind

Reaction score
Since I recently moved to Germany from Italy, I needed to but some warmer clothes. I'm 23 years old, so wool suit is inappropriate for daily life at university, thus I opted for a sweater.
The problem is that I don't know which criterions to buy it on. They are quite expensive (Ralph and Lauren's are up to 300€) so I can't afford many.
My first thought was about solid colored, v-neck, gray or black ones, but having seen in shops they looked like fairly boring. Maybe some patterned would do, but now I ask your suggestions.

Even cool images are greatly appreciated (google doesn't find stylish things so easily
frown.gif
)

Bye, happy new year ^_^
Gil

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mind
Since I recently moved to Germany from Italy, I needed to but some warmer clothes. I'm 23 years old, so wool suit is inappropriate for daily life at university, thus I opted for a sweater.
The problem is that I don't know which criterions to buy it on. They are quite expensive (Ralph and Lauren's are up to 300€) so I can't afford many.
My first thought was about solid colored, v-neck, gray or black ones, but having seen in shops they looked like fairly boring. Maybe some patterned would do, but now I ask your suggestions.

Even cool images are greatly appreciated (google doesn't find stylish things so easily
frown.gif
)

Bye, happy new year ^_^
Gil

Maybe a wool suit is not right for you, but how about a nice blazer? In my opinion all sweaters are boring. A good jacket will make anybody look more stylish than wearing a sweater.

Duco

Reaction score
A navyblue wool/cotton v-neck with khaki pants and a blue button down shirt can be very nice and is not boring. It is a look that is universal and is accepted and almost everyone looks good in it. Wear this with some dessert boots and you will look very good, and better then 99% of the rest of your university.

You can also choose to pair the sweaters you buy with a navy blazer.

Have you thought about cardigans? Maybe less boring and they can also be combined with a navy blazer.

Btw, boring is not bad
wink.gif

wsblend

Reaction score
"Fairly boring" will be exactly what you will want if you are majoring in or later find yourself working in a law/business/accounting/etc. office. Boring is key. If you really want fashion, I recommend looking at some Hugo Boss product since you'll be in Germany. It's priced exorbitantly so try not to pay retail for it; this should be the right time of year to find discounted winter clothing. As for sweater criteria, I would say:
  1. Merino Wool will be more durable than Cashmere and will look nearly as dressy; I went that route and have been pleased with mine.
  2. Cardigans shouldn't be overlooked as they can look rather hip and youthful when worn with a crew neck shirt
  3. Crew Neck sweaters will be more casual than V-Neck sweaters and perhaps a bit more youthful
  4. If the price is enticing but you doubt of the product's quality, look at the refund policy to see if you'll be able to return the product after use if it pills too soon, too easily. Such a return policy may be more of an American phenomenon but still inquire where you shop, anyway.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you never saw a sweater in Italy?

V neck are better with a shirt underneath.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wool is warmer, cotton is cooler, cashmere is warmest, the thicker and denser, the warmer. V necks look better with more formal dress, especially if a tie is worn. Cardigans are comfy and casual.

You don't need to spend a huge amount for Ralph Lauren or anything like that. Just get a good material and a color, pattern and fit that you like. I do not, however, recommend black sweaters. They're not versatile at all. Gray is good, red is good, green, blue, whatever. But black should only come after you already have a fair variety.

The other big thing is care- sweaters are knits, so they will stretch and distort if you hang them. Fold them and store them on a shelf.

mind

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies.

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Maybe a wool suit is not right for you, but how about a nice blazer? In my opinion all sweaters are boring. A good jacket will make anybody look more stylish than wearing a sweater.

Yes, that's true. I used to wear a blue blazer on April/May in Italy, but now I'm looking for something different.

Originally Posted by bellyhungry
Get a full-zip sweater than fits.

I had a period while I was looking for a full-zip swater, but now I prefers more classic garments

Originally Posted by Duco
A navyblue wool/cotton v-neck with khaki pants and a blue button down shirt can be very nice and is not boring. It is a look that is universal and is accepted and almost everyone looks good in it. Wear this with some dessert boots and you will look very good, and better then 99% of the rest of your university.

You can also choose to pair the sweaters you buy with a navy blazer.

Have you thought about cardigans? Maybe less boring and they can also be combined with a navy blazer.

Btw, boring is not bad
wink.gif

I will take that in consideration, I saw some pictures on google and there were great =)

Originally Posted by wsblend
"Fairly boring" will be exactly what you will want if you are majoring in or later find yourself working in a law/business/accounting/etc. office. Boring is key.

If you really want fashion, I recommend looking at some Hugo Boss product since you'll be in Germany. It's priced exorbitantly so try not to pay retail for it; this should be the right time of year to find discounted winter clothing.

As for sweater criteria, I would say:
  1. Merino Wool will be more durable than Cashmere and will look nearly as dressy; I went that route and have been pleased with mine.
  2. Cardigans shouldn't be overlooked as they can look rather hip and youthful when worn with a crew neck shirt
  3. Crew Neck sweaters will be more casual than V-Neck sweaters and perhaps a bit more youthful
  4. If the price is enticing but you doubt of the product's quality, look at the refund policy to see if you'll be able to return the product after use if it pills too soon, too easily. Such a return policy may be more of an American phenomenon but still inquire where you shop, anyway.

Actually, I secretely felt in love with a cardigan by H.Boss found in an airport. The problem was that there exist no size for me (the small is not so small after all)

Originally Posted by Nicola
What you never saw a sweater in Italy?

V neck are better with a shirt underneath.

Sure, I have some, but I need more! And all the sweater I have aren't good qualities, thus it's time to buy some serious ones.

Originally Posted by cptjeff
Wool is warmer, cotton is cooler, cashmere is warmest, the thicker and denser, the warmer. V necks look better with more formal dress, especially if a tie is worn. Cardigans are comfy and casual.

You don't need to spend a huge amount for Ralph Lauren or anything like that. Just get a good material and a color, pattern and fit that you like. I do not, however, recommend black sweaters. They're not versatile at all. Gray is good, red is good, green, blue, whatever. But black should only come after you already have a fair variety.

The other big thing is care- sweaters are knits, so they will stretch and distort if you hang them. Fold them and store them on a shelf.

Thank you for advices.

I guess now my options include a navy blue v-neck wool sweater, another cardigan (I already have one in gray cotton), and a diamond patterned black sweater. The last one is because I saw one by H.Boss in a shop here, and even if I loved it, the "normal sizes" are the first to be sold out in the discount-time
frown.gif

Bye all, cheers =)
Gil

Duco

Reaction score
The slim-fit versions of the Hugo Boss v-necks, round necks and cardigans are really slim-fit. In the Netherlands most shops sell the Hugo Boss slim fit Mediums to people that normally wear Small. I can assure you that they fit very slim.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My checklist:

Is it RL? check
Is it fitted? (judged by measurements given or experience) check
Are the sleeves long enough? check
Does it have features that aren't readily available on other brands? check
Cashmere? check
Does the color work? check
[hits BIN and pays via paypal].

wsblend

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mind
I had a period while I was looking for a full-zip swater, but now I prefers more classic garments

Actually, I secretely felt in love with a cardigan by H.Boss found in an airport. The problem was that there exist no size for me (the small is not so small after all)

I guess now my options include a navy blue v-neck wool sweater, another cardigan (I already have one in gray cotton), and a diamond patterned black sweater. The last one is because I saw one by H.Boss in a shop here, and even if I loved it, the "normal sizes" are the first to be sold out in the discount-time
frown.gif

Bye all, cheers =)
Gil

Yes, avoid full-zip sweaters. I used to really like them because they're so fast and easy but they're more casual than cardigans and if a tie or a scarf gets caught in a zipper, it can be mildly but noticeably damaged.

I second any decision to avoid zippers altogether, esp the ubiquitous 1/4 zip sweater and esp when worn over a dress shirt. Yuck.

As said, if small is what you want, Hugo Boss will be one of your go-to brands. You just need their fitted line.

When sweater shopping, try to avoid dark colors in cotton, esp black and navy, as cotton can look really dim in those colors. Where you can get away with cotton is with subtly patterned fabrics, like cotton charcoal or any cotton heather.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any crew neck Ralph Lauren sweater without a logo will do.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duco
The slim-fit versions of the Hugo Boss v-necks, round necks and cardigans are really slim-fit. In the Netherlands most shops sell the Hugo Boss slim fit Mediums to people that normally wear Small. I can assure you that they fit very slim.

I would agree that slim-fit HB sweaters fit a size smaller than labelled.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads