• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which country stocks most brands in a single location!

papercut

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been having much difficulties finding a decent fitting shoes for my flat feet; most brick-and-mortar shops stock only regular fitting shoes.

Question!
  • Which country should one go, to try on as many brands/lasts/widths?
I'm thinking Japan might be a good option - Asian feet is wider at the ball and narrower at the heel.
The problem that I have.

Regular fitting shoes fit snug, i.e. toes have no space to wriggle at all. Due to the nature of my flat fleet, the joint between the ball of foot and pinky toe juts out after walking for a bit and that causes much pain.

Every single store/shop claims that the shoes will stretch to fit, and yes it does. However, they expand only when you wear it. It reverts to its natural size when you don't wear it.

I'd like to purchase shoes where it fits right out of the box and not wait for it to break-in.

So far, Cheaney F width (tried in-store) fits me the best, have not tried G width but it should be better.

I've also just discovered unlined loafers (Alden suede LHS and C&J's Harvard)!
It relieves some of the pain but still a pain to purchase as loafers are extremely rare in wide widths.

Looking forward to hear from everyone!

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The republic of Manhattan.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surely asking which city is easier? Obviously London, Paris, Milan, New York etc. etc.

Jermyn Street in London alone had, as far as I remember, seven different shoemakers on there when I was in London a month or so ago.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vienna has many, particularly high end and bespoke retailers.

Joe_Faire

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I can vouch for Japan, but I'd personally recommend Hong Kong. Sizing in Japan may be an issue - so although you may find the right pair with the perfect wide width, sizing may be limited. Hope this helps!

gmehra

Reaction score
Isetan (a department store) in Japan has an amazing selection of classic mens shoes

Joe_Faire

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Well yes then you'd most likely find yourself at the heart of Shinjuku. would still say it's a coin toss between HK and JPN.
Isetan (a department store) in Japan has an amazing selection of classic mens shoes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads