• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which colour of suede loafers is best for me?

djextra

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been looking to buy a pair of suede loafers to wear mostly from October to May in smart casual attire (most casual would be with slim straight jeans), but was really undecided on the color.
I was considering black, dark brown and dark navy. The latter colour would be my favourite, black the most intriguing, but dark brown is perhaps the most versatile while still looking great.
Any advice and opinions to cast away my doubts?

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dark brown. I actually have 2 identical pairs of dark brown loafers because I couldn't get the first pair resoled in time for a trip, and now I have started to wear the original pair again as I need to have the second pair resoled. I also have them in navy. I never wear the navy suede with jeans, while I wear the brown suede with everything from jeans, to shorts in a pinch, to linen trousers in the summer and flannel in the winter.

I also tend to treat the navy loafers as a summer shoe.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’ll get the most bang for your buck with dark brown.

Loafers seem an odd choice for those months.

CLRox

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been looking to buy a pair of suede loafers to wear mostly from October to May in smart casual attire (most casual would be with slim straight jeans), but was really undecided on the color.
I was considering black, dark brown and dark navy. The latter colour would be my favourite, black the most intriguing, but dark brown is perhaps the most versatile while still looking great.
Any advice and opinions to cast away my doubts?
dark navy would look cool

Caesar20

Reaction score
I agree with most of the above, dark brown is definitely going to be the most versatile. It does also depend on what else you have in you wardrobe already, however. If you have other dark brown shoes that work will in a casual setting then maybe you don't need the most diverse option.

Another thing to consider would be your climate. October to May are, of course, winter months so unless you live in a hot country suede may not be the best option overall due to it being a wetter time of year.

A couple of great products to keep suede looking good even if it does get wet are Saphir Suede Renovateur and the Saphir Super Invulner Waterproofing Spray.

djextra

Reaction score
I live in Italy and the weather is more autumnal rather than cold in all those months except for December and January and the last week of November.

I already have several pair of boots and dark brown wingtip oxfords (in leather) so I guess I'm covered as far as other styles go.

I really want a pair of suede loafers though, both because I personally love the style and because I think it's a versatile, almost must have shoe, to use when the streets are in fine state and to have variance in the footwear departmentfor those months.

I think I might go for the dark brown for the versatility as some of you suggested.
Dark Navy would be lovely for me, but finding the right shade of colour can be very tough

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think given those factors, you'll do fine with dark brown. Once you have the basics covered, then you can venture out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads