• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which colour gets your vote for the Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly balmacaan?

Which colour gets your vote?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
S.E.H Kelly (henceforth, we or occasionally I) are working with Styleforum on a special edition of our balmacaan, which is the walking coat we typically make with heavy woollen cloth every autumn and winter.

The existing version of the balmacaan you can see at https://www.sehkelly.com/balmacaan-in-donegal-tweed-in-blue-grey/ (including the "as worn" photographs halfway down the page that are sometimes overlooked).

The new Styleforum version, which we will release this autumn, will be longer — at 43" in the body — and made in one or two colours of Donegal tweed. And, together with the inmates at https://www.styleforum.net/threads/s-e-h-kelly.277070/ over the past month we've drilled down from 30-40 colours to a shortlist of nine. These are presented below.

sheet-final-9-cropped@2x.jpg

Standard 5 — light and dark brown
herringbone-styleforum-standard-5@2x.jpg

Standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal
herringbone-styleforum-standard-7@2x.jpg

Wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey
herringbone-styleforum-wide-1@2x.jpg

Wide 3 — barley and brown
herringbone-styleforum-wide-3@2x.jpg

Wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy
herringbone-styleforum-wide-5@2x.jpg

Wide 6 — charcoal and black
herringbone-styleforum-wide-6@2x.jpg

Wide 7 — dark green and black
herringbone-styleforum-wide-7@2x.jpg

Wide 8 — malt and dark brown
herringbone-styleforum-wide-8@2x.jpg

Wide 9 — blue-grey and charcoal
herringbone-styleforum-wide-9@2x.jpg

Please note the "standard" herringbone is the same 28oz weight as the balmacaan above. The "wide" herringbone is about 20% wider in pattern but 10% lighter in weight. They are made with merino lambswool which is spun in Donegal.

After a few days of voting, the top one or two will be designated the undisputed champions, and will be put into work at the mill in Donegal. We'll hope then to receive the cloth here in London during the summer and release the coat in early autumn.

The price is as yet unknown, but 10-20% higher than the balmacaan currently on the website. We have not yet decided on how to manage pre-orders ... but that's the next job for our brains, and as ever welcome the input of people here who have witnessed or been on board with such projects before.

I am unsure how much detail to go into here, so if anyone has any questions or feel something has been overlooked, please let me know, and just as after a big lunch here at the workshop, I will expand accordingly.

Cheers all

Paul

Last edited:

MaE

Reaction score
I finally voted for “wide 9” but all of these options I find really interesting. Let’s see how the poll evolves in the next few days and of course I am already looking forward being able to welcome my first true overcoat in my closet this fall :)

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I finally voted for “wide 9” but all of these options I find really interesting. Let’s see how the poll evolves in the next few days and of course I am already looking forward being able to welcome my first true overcoat in my closet this fall :)

Many thanks!

I should add that we will make a sample of the new, longer balmacaan later this month. The cloth for the sample is something we have here already: a thick and fairly wide charcoal x black herringbone (not from Donegal, and thus with none of the flecks).

I think it'll give a very good indication of the final coat, and I'll post photographs as soon as made.

weriker

Reaction score
Great project!

How can we be notified as soon as pre-order is possible? Send you an e-mail?

Automated Response

Reaction score
Thank God Wide 5 didn't place. Would have been forced to buy.

Automated Response

Reaction score
Lighter fabrics are more practical for my temperate 4-season climate, and the combination of charcoal and dark navy would make for an incredibly handsome and versatile piece of outerwear.

Please don't ever, ever run that fabric. ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads