• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which color pants with a dark gray sport coat?

NaveenM

Reaction score
Hello all. My first post!

For the past 10 years I've worked in a place with absolutely no dress code. T-shirts, jeans, shorts, sneakers, sandals, whatever, it all goes. Plus the place is really small, so I've never had any incentive to dress well.

This presents a problem, in that after once having a fairly nice wardrobe, not only do I not have one now and am struggling to rebuild one, but I pretty much did not develop a sense of style that I think is suitable for my age (mid-30s).

So, all that out of the way, some advice: What would be the correct color pants to wear with a dark gray sport coat? I have an evening garden party to attend, and was told a sport coat would be fine.

I have an even darker (charcoal) gray pair of slacks. I've seen this look on websites like Park and Bond, but I'm wondering if you need more confidence to pull that look off (dark on darker, I mean). I know tan/khaki pants would work fine...but is that a little too relaxed for the evening?

I'm probably going to wear a light blue shirt. I figure that goes with pretty much everything and isn't as boring as white.

Any advice is truly appreciated.

Thanks!
Naveen

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Styleforum.
Please post photos of said sport coat. Also, lay out on a bed or table a selection of pants you have available and take a photo. Example- Linen, chinos, or even denim. The lighter weight fabrics will be preferred but shoe us what you have.
Do the same with some shirts (button down collars preferred) and snap a photo of your shoes. We'll try to select something for you that will work.
A photo of some ties and pocket squares will help even if a tie is not required, it may be good to take one just in case.
Standing by.... :lurk:

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was planning to buy a dark grey blazer last week and was in same situation as you. I looked up on the net and checked on the street to find a good combination. What seemed to me is that either a pair of khaki pants or a black pair of pants will go best.
I did prefer the black pants combination. After all the research for one whole day once I was at the store to buy that grey blazer they didn't have my size and it was a sale item ...... so they were unable to order one for me....bummer !!
Below is a picture form one of style forum member form -
http://www.styleforum.net/t/234255/hof-what-are-you-wearing-right-now-part-iii/525

NaveenM

Reaction score
OK, first the jacket (click for larger on all of these).

Next, the pants I had planned on wearing. Are they not dark enough? Not enough contrast to the SC?

Now the shirt.

And the shoes.

Here's an alternative pant I could wear. A dark olive.

Finally, though I didn't take a picture, I have a tan/khaki colored sport coat as well...but I prefer to wear the darker one since it's an evening party.

Thanks for the help!!

Joker Man

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
OK, first the jacket (click for larger on all of these).

Next, the pants I had planned on wearing. Are they not dark enough? Not enough contrast to the SC?

Now the shirt.

And the shoes.

Here's an alternative pant I could wear. A dark olive.

Finally, though I didn't take a picture, I have a tan/khaki colored sport coat as well...but I prefer to wear the darker one since it's an evening party.

Thanks for the help!!
You don't want to wear trousers that are too close in shade because it will look like a suit that doesn't match.

Joker Man

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You don't want to wear trousers that are too close in shade because it will look like a suit that doesn't match.
And btw, this is why the navy blazer is so popular.It's just more versatile in a variety of situations.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NaveenM, thank you for posting the photos. We were hoping for some selection to work with. You have your mind set on this so just do it.
Try to spend some time on here and lurk-n-learn. This will help you for the future.

sturm07

Reaction score
My rule of thumb is usually Dark/Light or Light/Dark (color). So, if you have a dark color Sport Coat, try a light color pants like light brown, beige, cream or white if you feel adventurous. I would use 2 (maybe 3) of the pieces you have. The Sport Coat and the dress shirts. I would knock in a pair of white clean jeans or pant. If you want to be conservative, use the black shoes you have. If you want to go youthful, bring in some light brown (caramel or camel) shoes or go white moccasins.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've heard dark pants/light coat doesn't work so well in principle, but Spoo looks excellent here. Are those pants black or navy? Does anyone else have good examples of this?

Last edited:

sturm07

Reaction score
I've heard dark pants/light coat doesn't work so well in principle, but Spoo looks excellent here. Does anyone else have good examples of this?
Hum.. good proposition but, not in this case. He has a dark color sport coat and throwing in a dark color pant that doesn't match the same pattern and color than the sport coat will make it looks like a mismatch suit.

To answer Liquidus. It depends on how you mix the colors. The easier way is Dark top and light color bottom. Light top and dark bottom can be done but, it is a little tricky. Spoo mix is not totally an example of Light/Dark since his sport coat is medium grey. It is kind of a neutral color and can be shift from Dark/Light to Light/Dark easily.

NaveenM

Reaction score
Thanks all. I felt the gray pants were too similar to the jacket. Ended up going with navy slacks instead, with brown shoes and belt. Oh, and the light blue shirt. Did it work?...I actually think so.

Thanks everyone for their comments. I will be lurking here often.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads