• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which coat is warmer?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
What's considered to be the warmer? shearling coat, a down-filled parka, or a heavy extra thick wool coat?

Shearling, down parka, wool. Leather is extremely warm, especially shearling.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with the down, if its something of real loft (650+) and has a true windproof fabric. Problem is, it is pretty ugly

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You dont like looking like the
Michelinman-753287.jpg
?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uninsulated leather is as cold as ice. A real leather and shearling coat is warm because of the shearling which is nothing more than unprocessed wool. Basically it's a fur coat with the fur side in. Not a bad choice but not the best one in my opinion.

Goose down is a tricky thing. The down must be premium quality and there needs to be a lot of it to keep you warm. Once it compresses and starts to settle in those little pockets it's insulation value goes way way down. If the shell isn't absolutely waterproof and you get soaked you're a dead man. Same goes if you rip up the shell and the down floats away in the breeze. The flip side is they are a very light coat which is a prime consideration for mountain climbers etc.

Extremely thick wool coats are very warm and if it gets soaked it does not lose it's insulating qualities. Wool is also very durable and tough. Thick wool is still the number one choice of people who live and work outside in cold climates.

I'm one of those people who has tried all three and I'll stick with my heavy wool coats.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
shearling is only really warm if the fur is turned to the inside.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say shearling with the fur on the inside. I used to live in the northwest region of China where it gets to -30C every winter, and everyone wore shearling to keep themselves warm.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Uninsulated leather is as cold as ice. A real leather and shearling coat is warm because of the shearling which is nothing more than unprocessed wool. Basically it's a fur coat with the fur side in. Not a bad choice but not the best one in my opinion.

Goose down is a tricky thing. The down must be premium quality and there needs to be a lot of it to keep you warm. Once it compresses and starts to settle in those little pockets it's insulation value goes way way down. If the shell isn't absolutely waterproof and you get soaked you're a dead man. Same goes if you rip up the shell and the down floats away in the breeze. The flip side is they are a very light coat which is a prime consideration for mountain climbers etc.

Extremely thick wool coats are very warm and if it gets soaked it does not lose it's insulating qualities. Wool is also very durable and tough. Thick wool is still the number one choice of people who live and work outside in cold climates.

I'm one of those people who has tried all three and I'll stick with my heavy wool coats.

Very interesting. Thanks

tokyodandy

Reaction score
Thick wool is still the number one choice of people who live and work outside in cold climates.

If you were buying, where would you look for such a coat?

TD

Eagle

Reaction score

While this might not have been my first answer, Crane's post makes a lot of sense, providing a very thoughtful and logical reply, and hence, I find myself in agreement..."I'll stick with my heavy wool coats"!

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tokyodandy
If you were buying, where would you look for such a coat?

TD

Crane's of course! LOL. Take a look at Filson wool coats, in particular the Mac or double Mac. The wool Packer is a good choice too. I own a wool Mac, it's -3F here this morning and it's what I'll be wearing today.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Northface down Parka by far keeps warmer than any other coat I own

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics