• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which city will be the host of 2016 Summer Olympic?

mussel

Reaction score
So the IOC narrowed down to 4 finalists and will announce the winner next year. So which do you think will be the host of the 2016 Olympic?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Japan had their go a few years ago. I doubt they will get it.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Madrid would be the best choice. The other three are horrible.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Rio has a good chance.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metropolis
Madrid would be the best choice. The other three are horrible.

I don't know about "horrible," but I do think Madrid would be a good choice.

Tokyo, logistically, could probably produce the "best" games, but as others have mentioned, not only did they host there a few decades ago, but also since Beijing just hosted, it's doubtful that they'd pick another Asian site so soon thereafter.

Chicago... eh. I went to college there and couldn't imagine what it could really offer, though I'm sure the city would be excited as it would give them further chances to renovate.

Rio might be fun... but I agree that Madrid seems a good choice (though, London hosting in 2012 might prevent them from picking another European site).

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Chicago... eh. I went to college there and couldn't imagine what it could really offer, though I'm sure the city would be excited as it would give them further chances to renovate.

I don't know the full inventory, but there are quite a few outdoor arenas already, a bunch of indoor sites with the universities and wherever it is the Bulls play, and a great venue for the sailing events.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
I don't know the full inventory, but there are quite a few outdoor arenas already, a bunch of indoor sites with the universities and wherever it is the Bulls play, and a great venue for the sailing events.

Oh, I know, I'm just still bitter and have bad memories of having to go through several Chicago winters.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to say Rio because Barcelona was in 1992. Why would they award two olympics to a single small country in that time period when South America has never had a Summer Games?

balder

Reaction score
I thought that the olympics were held on a Europe-somewhere-else basis,which would mean Rio getting it.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
assuming the IOC likes to distribute the Olympic venues evenly across continents:

1960 Rome Europe
1964 Tokyo Asian
1968 Mexico North America
1972 Munich Europe
1976 Montreal North America
1980 Moscow Europe/Asia
1984 Los Angeles North America
1988 Seoul Asia
1992 Barcelona Europe
1996 Atlanta North America
2000 Sydney Australia
2004 Athens Europe
2008 Beijing Asia
2012 London Europe

Chicago. North America is due for one and I imagine the USOC is very influential.
Madrid. No way with 2012 London
Tokyo. Maybe but Beijing would have been fairly recent.
Rio. Winner. South America has never hosted an Olympics and assuming the Rio Olympic committee has got their **** together, this is theirs to lose. Brazil is an up and coming economic power and this is their time.

-Jeff

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it will be Rio. No previous S.A. Olympics coupled with the success of the 2008 games in a developing country = Rio. My family in Chicago is convinced it will be their city, which could be fun, but I don't see it.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Olympics in Chicago would be a horrible event. The city is entirely unsuited to the task. The proposed venues are extremely far apart and Chicago's mass transit is in tatters from the decades of neglect. Daley is a ************* too.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
The Olympics in Chicago would be a horrible event. The city is entirely unsuited to the task. The proposed venues are extremely far apart and Chicago's mass transit is in tatters from the decades of neglect. Daley is a ************* too.
Yeah, I can just imagine people trying to get to the events on time taking the "Red Line" up from the South Side. And, anybody getting on the stop at 55th and Garfield would have to contend with the rather clever "homeless" man who, for years, has been telling the same story to unsuspecting riders about "getting a job next week and just needing a little to help him and his daughter make it until then." When I was a student at UC, we always enjoyed hearing from this gentleman when we went downtown, especially because he'd forget he asked us the last time and "next week" was taking four years to come around.

Casey

Reaction score
I don't know how it would work but I would love to see the Olympics in Chicago. I would say it's best city in the US because LA has had its share of games, New York just had a failed bid and is way too crowded, and summer in San Francisco doesn't seem so summery. I don't think having 2 games in the last 2 decades will affect Chicago's bid too much though, because we're such a big country and every city is so different.

I would choose Madrid as my PERSONAL 2nd because the city just has so much culture but London, Athens, and Barcelona (especially) will only work against Madrid.

I am dying to go to Sao Paulo, but Rio seems beautiful nonetheless, and it only helps that Mexico City was as south as the Olympics have ever been in the Americas. I think realistically, Rio has the most potential and would be a fantastic host city with all of its mixed culture. And who knows, maybe May-Treanor/Walsh will retire by then.

I'm not saying Tokyo can't have another games because London, Paris, and LA have each had two games, but it's just too soon after Beijing. However, I do admit that their proposal for the most compact and efficient games is intriguing. I just don't think it would be memorable, especially with the over-the-top show Beijing just put on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads