• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which cigar shell (dark brown) cordovan shoes to get?

huskyzealot

Reaction score
Really slow day at work and I'm having an unusually tough time deciding which of these shoes to purchase. I want to get a dark brown cordovan shoe to wear primarily with navy and light grey wool slacks at work, but also the occasional pair of chinos outside of the office. These will never really be worn with a suit.

Assuming the current Ralph Lauren sale applies to cordovan shoes (I haven't tested this yet), all the shoes are relatively the same price.

Option 1: Alden Full-Strap Loafer (cigar shell)
http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._cordovan.html

Option 2: RL Darlton Loafer
http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...ductId=1812817

Option 3: RL Darlton Wingtip
http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...ductId=1812819

I am leaning towards the Alden's - I have a pair in color 8 already, and I love them. I have never seen either of the Darlton's in real life (maybe that is an issue), but it seems as though they are both less formal shoes which might look a little off with my somewhat sleek wool trousers at work (esp. the bulkier wingtips). I also have some mild concerns about the appropriateness of wearing the wingtips in the workplace since I am 24 years old and get the feeling that some of the older guys view wingtips as ultra formal (even though they are not).

Of course, right when I am about to pull the trigger on the Aldens, I think of how idiotic I am for not picking up the arguably better quality (C&J) shoes at the discounted price, and how dumb it is to purchase an almost identical shoe to the ones sitting on my feet currently (the same shoes in color 8).

Can someone just make my life easier and tell me which ones to get?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Buy the Dalton cordovan wingtip or the tassel loafer. Pennies are a bit informal for the office...(i know, i know)/

The cordovan is included in the sale.

huskyzealot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Buy the Dalton cordovan wingtip or the tassel loafer. Pennies are a bit informal for the office...(i know, i know)/

The cordovan is included in the sale.

So you'd consider the wingtips more formal than the alden full straps? I wouldn't wear either with a suit, but since the wingtips aren't balmorals i found them to be pretty casual looking.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, but just a hair more formal. I'd wear them with flannel and tweed and never a suit....unless it was flannel or tweed
laugh.gif

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Darltons wingtips for sure.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Darlton wingtips or Alden cigar longwings.

Hoofit

Reaction score
I have the Darlton loafer, and the color is amazing. I think the Darlton longwing is your best bet though. That shoe is rediculous. Get em and post some pics.

huskyzealot

Reaction score
A lot of love for the Darlton wing tips.

Are they true to size? I wear 10.5D in allen edmonds, and 10D on the alden aberdeen and plaza lasts for reference.

Hoofit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by huskyzealot

Are they true to size? I wear 10.5D in allen edmonds, and 10D on the alden aberdeen and plaza lasts for reference.

My Darlton pennys fit TTS. I am a 12 D in AE and have 12D in the darlton.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Darlton Pennies and Wingtips are incredible. I will own both someday in the not so far off future, I'm sure of it

marco_rol

Reaction score
I also have some mild concerns about the appropriateness of wearing the wingtips in the workplace since I am 24 years old

You're only 24 and you're going to buy cordovan wingtips? My hat's off to you young sir.

+1 for the Darlton wingtip. I was just looking at them today and put them into my cart (still trying to decide if I want to pull the trigger as well). My issue is I need a brown wingtip more for suits than for casual, so I think I'm going to have to pass on the Darlton's and go with a pair of EG's or something.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your sizing sounds funny - you're 1/2 size down from AE in the Aberdeen and Plaza? That'd put you in about a 9.5D Barrie.

huskyzealot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marco_rol
You're only 24 and you're going to buy cordovan wingtips? My hat's off to you young sir.
This is actually a concern of mine. Am I too young to be wearing wingtips to the office? Also, every picture I see of the Darlon wingtips (image search & RL website) has them paired with more casual pants like chinos, jeans, etc., but I only wear wool dress slacks (mostly single pleated with a cuff) to work....will the shoes work with that look?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads