• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which charity would you guys recommend and why?

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
To the OP, don't you anything that relates to your life / family, or some hardship you personally went through? I always feel like those make the best donations. However, if you've had a great life thus far, go with one of the above suggestions.

summej2

Reaction score
Expense ratio isn't the only thing you should look at because is it is too easily manipulated and doesn't get at the real question: how effective is the charity? Now that makes it harder on you in finding out who to support, but in the end it is the better approach.

I think of it almost like picking a company to invest in. You are looking for return on investment, it's just that the return is in social value. There are a couple of nonprofits that try to do this kind of effectiveness rankings, but their names now escape me. You could also look at tacticalphilanthropy.com

In practice, I start by giving a small amount to organizations whose missions are compelling to me. Then I assess the information I get from the organization the same way I would a fund prospectus or a business plan. I gauge how much to give (or whether to give again) based on that.

Al-Wahid

Reaction score
http://www.kiva.org

Kiva is an organization that provides microfinance to entrepreneurs in Third World countries such as Uganda, Sudan, and Pakistan. It seems to be modeled after Mohammed Yunus' Grameen Bank in Bangladesh. I really like this organization because you have the option to loan money rather than donate, the overhead doesn't seem to be that high compared to other NGOs, and you can actually discern the impact that you're having. Moreover, if you could conceivably make money on a successful project if you were so inclined.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
I have been thinking about this one:

http://www.donorschoose.org

I saw it on usa channel I think. I think education plays an important role in society and I do not believe public education ( I think this is public only) is delivering on that goal. Regardless of whether that is the problem of bureaucracy or the individual, I appluad the effort made by the front line to increase the quality of the education through innovative ideas.

Donors Choose is great - my fiancee is a teacher and when she was working in some under-funded school districts it really helped her do a lot for the kids.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on kiva.

And though you move a lot, I think the idea of donating to local charities or food banks is still a good idea. When you give money to a big global organization it's easy to forget about it and pretend it's doing okay, but when you support a local organization wherever you go you get to see that there's poverty everywhere. Depending on how involved you get, you also get to feel the effects of your emotional and financial investment on a personal level.

Aperipan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
+1 on kiva.

And though you move a lot, I think the idea of donating to local charities or food banks is still a good idea. When you give money to a big global organization it's easy to forget about it and pretend it's doing okay, but when you support a local organization wherever you go you get to see that there's poverty everywhere. Depending on how involved you get, you also get to feel the effects of your emotional and financial investment on a personal level.

I would not donate to any charity that only provides physical comforts.

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Al-Wahid
http://www.kiva.org

Kiva is an organization that provides microfinance to entrepreneurs in Third World countries such as Uganda, Sudan, and Pakistan. It seems to be modeled after Mohammed Yunus' Grameen Bank in Bangladesh. I really like this organization because you have the option to loan money rather than donate, the overhead doesn't seem to be that high compared to other NGOs, and you can actually discern the impact that you're having. Moreover, if you could conceivably make money on a successful project if you were so inclined.

Kiva is a great idea and it was, in fact, inspired by the founder hearing a lecture by Yunus, if I correctly recall hearing her tell the story. Loans made through Kiva are 0% interest, but there are some microfinance funds and other means if you want to loan for profit. And, yes, the overhead is quite low since many people donate their time to the effort (translators and so forth).

boo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by summej2
Expense ratio isn't the only thing you should look at because is it is too easily manipulated and doesn't get at the real question: how effective is the charity? Now that makes it harder on you in finding out who to support, but in the end it is the better approach.

I think of it almost like picking a company to invest in. You are looking for return on investment, it's just that the return is in social value. There are a couple of nonprofits that try to do this kind of effectiveness rankings, but their names now escape me. You could also look at tacticalphilanthropy.com

In practice, I start by giving a small amount to organizations whose missions are compelling to me. Then I assess the information I get from the organization the same way I would a fund prospectus or a business plan. I gauge how much to give (or whether to give again) based on that.

The Robin Hood Foundation fits that perfectly: www.robinhood.org

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aperipan
I would not donate to any charity that only provides physical comforts.

What do you mean by this? Is there a charity that deals only in psychic comfort, or one whose physical comforts provide no psychic or emotional benefit whatsoever?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads