1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Which came first?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Nick M, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

I've been curious about this forever. Which did Chuck Taylor wear?

In my experience, emo hipster types wear low, goth/punk/metal types wear high. I try to mix it up a bit.

2. j

j Senior member Admin

The high-tops, apparently. http://www.chucksconnection.com/history.html Personally, I can't get over the cult-ness of them, but I think I am going to pick up a pair of black Purcells next time I'm up near GI Joes. On this topic, my roommate (who went with Slim and me to Japan) bought a pair of black lowtop Chucks at GI Joes that had a pink tongue and pink edging around the white part. He the girls' section because the men's black low-tops were sold out in his size. Among all the zillions of shoes, including lots of Chucks, that we looked at in Tokyo, we never once saw that model there.

3. rlevine

rlevine Well-Known Member

I saw a picture today of Milken wearing high top Chuck Taylors in a basketball game.

4. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

i didn't realize anyone actually wore those to play ball in.

5. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

The fellow who wrote The World's Most Dangerous Places, whose name eludes me, recommends Chuck Taylor high tops as the best (and cheapesT) jungle boot available.

6. benchan

benchan Senior member

This page has some good info about Chuck...and yes, people used to ball in them. Chuck

7. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Senior member

I played a fairly intense game the other day in a pair of aqua colored Chuck Taylor high tops. I just recently had some minor foot surgery, so the roomy toebox, etc. is much appreciated and I've been wearing them for about a week as a result. I'd like to get back to wearing real shoes, but oh my aching feet...

Still, I was dropping bombs and breaking ankles.

8. Horace

Horace Senior member

I loved the old Jacks. I wonder when Jacks started making them in other colors. For a long time, it was just the "natural" white -- but I've seen the Black ones since at least the early 80's.

9. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I remember my father telling me that his team was the first in the area (Carmel CA) to wear black Converse high tops (he saw me wearing a pair of all-black Converse.) This was appx. 1960, not sure if it was his high school or college team.

10. Matt

Matt Senior member

chucks dont suit me unfortunately

ive always wanted a pair, but whenever ive tried them, they look too narrow on my foot.

shame, such a classic...i really should own a pair once