1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Which C&J's Would Youy Purchase

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scnupe7, May 16, 2005.

1. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

I am having a difficult time deciding which pair of C&J's I should purchase. I think I have narrowed it down to the Savile and Weymouth. If you were purchasing one pair of C&J's which pair would you purchase?

Thanks in advance.

2. Alias

Alias Senior member

Voted Weymouth, because I already own the Audleys, and I have a pair of Seymours so I don't need a pair of Saviles [​IMG] But seriously, it all depends on what you already have.

3. Alter

Alter Senior member

Please tell us what types of shoes (e.g. captoe, etc) that you already own, and what type of functions you plan to wear them at (e.g. formal work, casual work, etc.)

The C&J handgrades are all quite nice so it is difficult to choose.

Regards,
    Eric

4. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

That's not a factor, as I already have medallion-toes, cap-toes, and a monk-strap, but none are C&J Â [​IMG] I'll be wearing them mostly to work. We are business casual. I wear wool slacks and cotton dress shirts everyday.

5. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Savile as I have wholecuts from Tricker's, Green and Berluti and don't want a Derby, which is what I believe the Aintree is.  If I'm going to wear a well-made leather-soled shoe, it's likely to be with a formal enough outfit that I don't need to hear the little Manton on my shoulder telling me not to wear a Derby.  Anyhow, I like the look of monkstraps and currently don't own any.   However, I am concerned about having to buclke and unbuckle the strap, which might cause it to wear out fast.  On the other hand, Duveen and AC informed me that they haven't needed to undo the strap to put on the shoe.

Just read you're biz casual. I think monkstraps are pretty vesatile up and down the business formality scale. The 337 last is forward and sleek enough to wear with a hip outfit too.

6. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

7. sirgarnetwolseley

sirgarnetwolseley Senior member

If I could only own one out of the three, I'd get the Weymouths. Seeing as I already have them though, I would vote for the Saviles. I don't have any strappy shoes.

8. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

I have never undone the strap on any of my monkstraps.  I get buy pretty well with a shoe horn.

Bic

(Yep, I meant shoe horn.)

9. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

(RJMan @ May 16 2005,20:13) Anyhow, I like the look of monkstraps and currently don't own any. Â However, I am concerned about having to buclke and unbuckle the strap, which might cause it to wear out fast. Â On the other hand, Duveen and AC informed me that they haven't needed to undo the strap to put on the shoe.
    I have never undone the strap on any of my monkstraps. Â I get buy pretty well with a shoe tree. Bic
    Do you mean shoe horn?

10. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Weymouth - As I am always looking at other peoples shoes to 'take something from', this is one that is at the top of the list...beautiful shoe. I could not improve upon a single detail...

11. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Another vote for Weymouth. That's a nice shoe.

12. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I'd say you couldn't go wrong with anything on the 337 last. You might consider available colors since they're not all available in every color. I have a pair of chestnut Seymours (double monk on the 337 last) and dark brown Weymouths. Great shoes.

dan

13. thinman

thinman Senior member

Savile. I recently fell in love with monkstraps and my work environment is business casual so I could wear the Saviles every other day (Isn't a wholecut like the Weymouth, but without the medallion, on the upper end of the formality scale and meant to be worn with a suit, or am I just wrong?).

14. caledoniasoul2

caledoniasoul2 Well-Known Member

could someone educate us newbies as to the general fit and type of last on the c & j- how do they fit compared say to allen edmonds, alden et. al.

thanks

15. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Where is Ernest? Ernest, what do you think?

16. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

The 337 last is going to be sleeker and more narrow than AE (not familiar with Alden).  The toe is very slightly squared off, which is something I happen to like.

koji

17. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Sleeker and more narrow in appearance, I would agree.  I don't think that extends to fit, at least not when comparing the C&J last 337 with the AE last #4.  I find the C&J last slightly wider and longer.  My Weymouth fits pretty well since it's a laceup, but my Seymour monkstrap has always felt a little off.

dan

18. ct2272

ct2272 Well-Known Member

I own the Audley and Aintree in the 337 last. The fit is incredibly nice for me. It seems like their design for arch support was particular to my foot. By far the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn.

I always thought medallions and any kind of brogueing was less formal than say captoe oxford but it should be to your particular style.

337 is an elongated last, long and narrow as it appears. I wear UK11.5E (US12D) so it seems to enhance the effect that I have big feet, but I really don't care. I get more positive comments on the 337's than I do my Grensons, J&Ms, and Lobbs.

Regards,
    CT

19. TKDKid

TKDKid Senior member

Conversation I had with a friend once:

Friend: "I really want a pair of Weymouths."

Me: "What's with everyone's obsession with the Weymouths?.?"

Friend: "I think they look really classy."

Me: "Yeah well the medallion looks too much like a penis for my liking."

Friend: "... Now that you mention it..."

My vote goes to the Savile as I think they're the most versatile.

20. TKDKid

TKDKid Senior member

Aha - found it: [​IMG] [​IMG] - the "Stanley". I saw this model in the Jermyn Street and Royal Exchange shops, and also saw seconds of it at the factory shop. Â A bit like the Aintree but two instead of three eyelets, and comes in dark brown antique (as well as black). Â I think it looks great - almost like a lace-up version of the Savile.