• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which buttons for a navy blazer?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what colors you'll be wearing it with. Personally, I HATE the gold buttons and think that they always look tacky. But, that's my opinion and I don't wear gold, ever.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gold buttons. Must be solid gold though, can't be any of that 'plated' tat.

godofcoffee

Reaction score
I vote for gold, too. The new SF movement away from gilt blazer buttons is just a slap in the face of history.

I think the matte looks good too, though.

joshuaE

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
Bought a new blazer this past weekend and I'm not digging the regular black buttons it came with.

I'm thinking of replacing them with metal buttons, so I've narrowed it down to these four colors:

Gold:

gold.jpg

Silver:

silver.jpg

Silver oxide:

silver_oxide.jpg

Dark matte:

dark_matte.jpg

This blazer will be worn from anything from dress pants, to maybe dress it down casually with a nice pair of dark jeans.

I'm pretty partial to the silver oxide and dark matte myself, they aren't as flashy as the regular gold and silver ones.

So what do you guys think I should get?

myke

I like silver or silver oxide burtten on navy blazer but i use gold burtten when dark navy blazer

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Silver oxide, the trad. gold button look never warm up to me

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you ruled out brass completely? If you find brass buttons in the right shade they can be a more subtle choice than both gold and silver. My first hand choice, if I were to chose buttons for a new blazer would be horn though.

kraftar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by godofcoffee
I vote for gold, too. The new SF movement away from gilt blazer buttons is just a slap in the face of history.

I never liked gold... gold buttons on a navy blazer always reminds me of Judge Smails.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gold.

Everyone needs one. Go with other colors on other sports coats. It IS supposed to look navy and nautical and is traditionally that way.

Erenoth

Reaction score
I'm fond of the silver oxide as well, but a gold-toned brass would be the proper, classic match-up for a classically cut deep navy blazer. Could you provide more information on the blazer itself? A photo would be great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads