• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Breton-Stripe Colourway is More Versatile?

Al Shosty

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm considering getting either a white with navy stripes or navy with white stripes breton-striped sweater. The white sweater is this (https://www.pauljamesknitwear.com/p...nNp8wq_w3gRhUCbe1BtxgSMxuyfQcv5EaAnTwEALw_wcB)

and the navy is this (https://www.thenauticalcompany.com/men-s-stripe-breton-sweater-navy-wool-mix.html).

I own dark, light wash and white jeans as well as navy and beige chinos. I'd ideally wear them with white sneakers, dark or light brown chelses boots or navy or brown suede loafers. I'd wear them equally as often with a dress shirt as I would more casually as a standalone piece.

Thanks in advance.

Panama

Reaction score
The first link does not work, and the second is to some acrylic mix garbage. There are better suppliers out there.

Last edited:

Panama

Reaction score
The first link does not work, and the second is to some acrylic mix garbage. There are better suppliers out there.
Royal Mer, Saint James, Armor Lux, Breton Shirt Co...

BlueStripeJumper_large.jpg

Breton Shirt Co 100% Merino, not acrylic mix garbage.

Last edited:

Panama

Reaction score
The Paul James sweater seems adequate in 100% cotton after looking at the website. No idea if you linked the white or blue variant.

Al Shosty

Reaction score
The Paul James sweater seems adequate in 100% cotton after looking at the website. No idea if you linked the white or blue variant.

Apologies for the link, I tried linking it from my laptop rather than my phone but it still isn't working. I linked the white variant from there. I agree that the acrylic mix isn't optimal, i just really like the darker navy colour and my budget is max £60 ($80'ish).

Panama

Reaction score
Apologies for the link, I tried linking it from my laptop rather than my phone but it still isn't working. I linked the white variant from there. I agree that the acrylic mix isn't optimal, i just really like the darker navy colour and my budget is max £60 ($80'ish).
The Paul James sweater is made in India rather than their Leicester factory.I would rather have something made in Europe. Saint James is still made in Brittany. I have no idea why we ship clothing from the other side of the world if we can have them made here in Europe.

Panama

Reaction score
Anyway your proposed "Avatar", sounds good - cream jeans, CHINOS. I am not a fan of Chelsea boots, but leather or suede Chukkas or Desert Boots would be great.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have both from Saint James and never wear them, tbh. But between the two, I wear the white one marginally more often. It's a classic sweater, but slightly preppy. You'll want to make sure you're ok with that before buying.

Al Shosty

Reaction score
I have both from Saint James and never wear them, tbh. But between the two, I wear the white one marginally more often. It's a classic sweater, but slightly preppy. You'll want to make sure you're ok with that before buying.

Thanks for the personal insight! I always struggle whenever I'm buying something that I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing to work, as I always question when I'd wear it on the weekends. I like the preppy aesthetic in the spring/summer, so thats fine with me.

What shade of white is the saint james sweater? Is it more of a bright white or more of a cream/brownish white? I'm just asking because the pictures aren't always a clear representation.

Finally, do you (or others) think that the wool acrylic in the blue one from the other company is such a deal breaker? I really like the darker colour of the navy and the overall look of the sweater.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the personal insight! I always struggle whenever I'm buying something that I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing to work, as I always question when I'd wear it on the weekends. I like the preppy aesthetic in the spring/summer, so thats fine with me.

What shade of white is the saint james sweater? Is it more of a bright white or more of a cream/brownish white? I'm just asking because the pictures aren't always a clear representation.

Finally, do you (or others) think that the wool acrylic in the blue one from the other company is such a deal breaker? I really like the darker colour of the navy and the overall look of the sweater.

The St. James is more of a cream, like this

It's been a very long time since I've bought an acrylic blend. I had one in college because I was broke. I think the sweater was fine for what it was. The disadvantage of acrylic is that sometimes the yarn is used to hold together knitwear made with shorter fibers, so it may pill. It also won't be as warm. And the acrylic changes the "hand" of the knit. Hard to describe in words.

If you're just building a wardrobe or you're price sensitive, I don't think it's a terrible purchase. You can experiment with this look and see how you like it. Otherwise, I would just spring for something better. I think you can get St. James sweaters for like $75-100

Panama

Reaction score
Wool will last whilst acrylic will pollute the oceans. St James has provenance and history.

Save the Dolphins, Seals, Whales, Penguins, and Turtles...

Panama

Reaction score
The example from the Breton Shirt Co is made in Portugal from Merino wool and costs £0.50 more than the acrylic mix garbage, who do not reveal where it is manufactured.

Panama

Reaction score
Actually The Nautical Company stocks all the leading brands: Armor Lux, Le Minor, Mât de Misaine, Royal Mer, Saint James. Yet you went straight to the junk brand that I have never heard of, with their acrylic garbage, Captain Corsaire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads