• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which brands sell more in Spring vs. Fall?

Fairy Tale Pink

Reaction score
As you know, in the fashion world, there are two major fashion seasons - Spring and Fall. If any particular brands sell more in Spring vs. Fall, which do you think sell more in each season?

I would guess more conservative dressy brands such as Van Heusen or Arrow would sell more in the Fall.

Denim brands such as Levi's I think would also sell more in the Fall.

Preppy brands such as Polo Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, Tommy Hilfiger, IZOD, Chaps, and Nautica I think would sell more in the Spring.

Golfwear such as PGA Tour, Callaway, and Greg Norman I think would sell more in the Spring.

Swimwear such as Speedo would obviously sell more in the Spring.

Plus, there is probably the regional effect to sales, with more Spring sales occurring in warmer climates and more Fall sales occurring in colder climates.

jaxenro

Reaction score
Not really something as simple as that. Typically fall sells more volume than spring but that could be because Christmas is in the fall.

Also many brands each have their own fall and spring lines so it is less a question of changing brands based on season. Outlet malls do better at certain times of year due to vacation traffic (not that I understand going to a outlet mall on vacation).

Even climate has a different effect than you might think. I have seen some stores in Florida due a brisk business in winter clothes being bought by people on vacation to bring home with them.

Then you can start getting into regional sizing variations. People on the coasts and major cities tend to be skinnier that the Midwest and South. At least in the socio-economic class that isn’t clothes shopping at Walmart. And yes some styles go better with slimmer people so it does come into play choosing brands.

Plus central heat and air have removed some of the need for spring vs fall wardrobes except perhaps outerwear

Fairy Tale Pink

Reaction score
Looks like I was correct about my theory in IZOD's case:
https://www.adweek.com/brand-market...the-brand-in-a-new-wonderfully-meta-campaign/

IZOD is apparently trying to boost sales of their Fall 2018 collection with their new ad campaign. The article I posted says IZOD is particularly strong in the spring and summer. However, note that IZOD typically releases the first of their Spring collections as early as November the prior year; they do not have a separate "Resort" or "Cruise" collection common in higher-end brands. In warmer climates, I have seen those early release Spring collection products reach stores almost immediately when they are released, rather than initially being online-only, giving Christmas shoppers a head start to buy some of next year's Spring collection. The Spring 2018 collection seemed to be released in phases; with the first phase being released November/December 2017, the second phase in early February 2018, and the third phase in March/April 2018.

jaxenro

Reaction score
Spring and fall are gone brands often release new product on a six to eight week cycle although the individual releases might be part of a larger one

If a brand only sells swim suits yes they probably sell more in the summer like I would bet stores sell more air conditioners in the summer and heaters in the winter. But some products, like jeans, are year round and some brands are year round

Fairy Tale Pink

Reaction score
Spring and fall are gone brands often release new product on a six to eight week cycle although the individual releases might be part of a larger one

If a brand only sells swim suits yes they probably sell more in the summer like I would bet stores sell more air conditioners in the summer and heaters in the winter. But some products, like jeans, are year round and some brands are year round

While still sometimes considered to be Spring and Fall collections, within those collections I have seen with some brands some products being released mid-cycle based on changes in weather. For example, many early Spring collection releases might be some long-sleeve shirts in spring colors, while the more summery clothes will be released later in the cycle. With Fall, some early Fall releases will often be warmer weather clothes in fall colors, with true winter clothes being released later in the cycle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads