• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which brands do a good roped shoulder?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Your Michel Angelo jacket has a great roped shoulder.

Thanks, I was looking to compare that with some of the big boys like Kiton, Borrelli etc. but I can't seem to find any good pics. Thanks for the PM, I will contact him.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Oxxford Crest model has a slightly roped sleevehead.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SR tailors outside (or sometimes, inside) the A&S tradition do rope shoulders. Huntsman, Dege, Kilgour, etc. Their RTW lines, I assume, should, too.

Here is an example I am wearing now.

drake

Reaction score
Holy crap man that suit looks amazing. From the file name I take that it's a Kilgour suit?

Originally Posted by whoopee
SR tailors outside (or sometimes, inside) the A&S tradition do rope shoulders. Huntsman, Dege, Kilgour, etc. Their RTW lines, I assume, should, too.

Here is an example I am wearing now.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It's in favourable lighting, and yes, it is by Kilgour.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drake
Holy crap man that suit looks amazing. From the file name I take that it's a Kilgour suit?

I second that! What an amazing suit!!
Here's an Oxxford Crest (missed your request for pictures on first reading):

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that the shoulders on that Kilgour are great. I'm suprised, though, as one of the partners in my firm has a couple bespoke KFS suits and the shoulders don't look anything like that.

As an aside, is that the "pagoda" shape as the English shoulder was once described?

dan

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't understand the roped shoulder. The look is very unnatural to me. I owuld love an explanation if somebody has one.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zegna's current silhouette has distinct roping, and the pagoda shape.

Is that Kilgour bespoke or RTW? The armholes look a little low.

--Andre

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is Kilgour bespoke (entry level). The lighting hides the armholes, but they are nice and high for my top heavy arms. The new Kilgour apparently cuts a slightly different silhouette than the old KFS.

I wasn't expecting the pagoda shoulders, as most SR shoulders I have seen in this vein are straight. There is no padding because of my rather square shoulders that sort of pitch naturally. But the cut is still obviously structured and a touch of wadding and a large shoulder with a smallish armhole gives the roping effect. It is not extreme. I like it. Other aspects of the silhouette are less to my liking.

I only like a bit of roping on city suits - the Italian rollino is really nice but hard to obtain. On country suits and sport coats no roping looks better to me. Rope is indeed unnatural.

demo5

Reaction score
Zegna Napoli Couture used to have a roped shoulder, not sure if they still do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics