1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Which brands do a good roped shoulder?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by edmorel, Mar 13, 2006.

1. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Any pics would be appreciated.

2. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Your Michel Angelo jacket has a great roped shoulder.

3. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Your Michel Angelo jacket has a great roped shoulder.

Thanks, I was looking to compare that with some of the big boys like Kiton, Borrelli etc. but I can't seem to find any good pics. Thanks for the PM, I will contact him.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Of the Italians, Brioni suits are well known for their roped shoulders.

5. thinman

thinman Senior member

The Oxxford Crest model has a slightly roped sleevehead.

6. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

SR tailors outside (or sometimes, inside) the A&S tradition do rope shoulders. Huntsman, Dege, Kilgour, etc. Their RTW lines, I assume, should, too.

Here is an example I am wearing now.

[​IMG]

7. drake

drake Senior member

Holy crap man that suit looks amazing. From the file name I take that it's a Kilgour suit?

SR tailors outside (or sometimes, inside) the A&S tradition do rope shoulders. Huntsman, Dege, Kilgour, etc. Their RTW lines, I assume, should, too.

Here is an example I am wearing now.

[​IMG]

8. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Thanks. It's in favourable lighting, and yes, it is by Kilgour.

9. thinman

thinman Senior member

Holy crap man that suit looks amazing. From the file name I take that it's a Kilgour suit?

I second that! What an amazing suit!!
    Here's an Oxxford Crest (missed your request for pictures on first reading):

[​IMG]

10. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I agree that the shoulders on that Kilgour are great. I'm suprised, though, as one of the partners in my firm has a couple bespoke KFS suits and the shoulders don't look anything like that.

As an aside, is that the "pagoda" shape as the English shoulder was once described?

dan

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't understand the roped shoulder. The look is very unnatural to me. I owuld love an explanation if somebody has one.

12. A Y

A Y Senior member

Zegna's current silhouette has distinct roping, and the pagoda shape.

Is that Kilgour bespoke or RTW? The armholes look a little low.

--Andre

13. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

It is Kilgour bespoke (entry level). The lighting hides the armholes, but they are nice and high for my top heavy arms. The new Kilgour apparently cuts a slightly different silhouette than the old KFS.

I wasn't expecting the pagoda shoulders, as most SR shoulders I have seen in this vein are straight. There is no padding because of my rather square shoulders that sort of pitch naturally. But the cut is still obviously structured and a touch of wadding and a large shoulder with a smallish armhole gives the roping effect. It is not extreme. I like it. Other aspects of the silhouette are less to my liking.

I only like a bit of roping on city suits - the Italian rollino is really nice but hard to obtain. On country suits and sport coats no roping looks better to me. Rope is indeed unnatural.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I love the artifice of the pagoda roping.

As for Kilgour's bespoke, this is the Shanghai model?

15. demo5

demo5 Senior member

Zegna Napoli Couture used to have a roped shoulder, not sure if they still do.

16. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Not to hijack the thread too much or anything, but to me, that Kilgour shoulder is very striking. Would it look out of place on a less format sport coat?

17. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I love the shoulder but prefer a less structured look for sport coats.

18. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Not to hijack the thread too much or anything, but to me, that Kilgour shoulder is very striking. Would it look out of place on a less format sport coat?

On a dark suit it looks striking, but I think it would be a bit much for an odd jacket. For myself, I prefer a more defined shoulder with roping on suits, but for casual I prefer a "neapolitan" shoulder.

Neapolitan in "" because according to Manton, the shoulder on a Borrelli (or even Kiton RTW) jacket isn't really a true neapolitan shoulder, but it does borrow some aspects. See his excellent post on london lounge if interested.

19. A Y

A Y Senior member

Zegna Napoli Couture used to have a roped shoulder, not sure if they still do.

As of fall 2005, they still did. From the pictures of their spring Sartorial line, it looks like they still do.

--Andre