• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over the years I've worn all three. I currently wear LL Beans Double L polos.
Can't beat the price for the quality and they fit me quite well. I go for fit first,
judge quality next.

baggycasual

Reaction score
Historically, I would say Yves Saint Laurent but they don't make them anymore. So, Fred Perry.

Of what I own I would personally rank them in the following order:

1. Fred Perry - Best design with tipping, heritage and more expensive versions Made in England.

2.Hugo Boss Orange - Excellent construction, placket and collar. Negative, branding on chest although relatively discreet.

3.Tommy Hilfiger - See Hugo Boss Orange above. Negative can be the slightly more traditional, looser fit. Discreet branding on sleeve can be a positive.

4. Lacoste - Their trademark L.12.12 shirt is too thin despite looking smart and having good dimensions as above shirts.

5. Ralph Lauren - The worst of the selection, don't like wider placket, the slimmer collars or the stupid long back hems especially the custom. Also, wearing them makes you look slightly North American which isn't necessarily desirable. Colour combinations is also not to my liking.

thejoker

Reaction score
Away from big labels nowadays. I think my Kent Wang ones are excellent

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Never bothered with Lauren. As an Englishman it pains me to say this but the Lacostes are much better quality than Fred Perry. They keep their shape and colour better and the collars lie flat. Regular fit is a bit boxy on me so I either go for the new slim fit (on sale only, never pay full retail) or get the sides taken in for some shape.

baggycasual

Reaction score
Never bothered with Lauren. As an Englishman it pains me to say this but the Lacostes are much better quality than Fred Perry. They keep their shape and colour better and the collars lie flat. Regular fit is a bit boxy on me so I either go for the new slim fit (on sale only, never pay full retail) or get the sides taken in for some shape.
I haven't tried the Lacoste slim fit shirt but I tend to dislike slimmer plackets and collars even if not stupidly slim like some monstrosities I've seen. Interestingly enough I found the Lauren, both custom and slim don't fit that well when 'tucked in'. I can only presume this is because they are designed for a fuller North American figure. The Traditional L 12.12 Lacoste I found didn't have this problem or have any 'extra' room in them if you get the right size. Maybe for me that means going down a size and wearing them slightly tighter than they were originally intended to be worn. Anyway, branding isn't actually that important to me. Ultimately, I want quality at a price I can afford to pay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads