1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Which brand of clothing do you personally hate the most with a passion?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CrazyJew, Feb 24, 2011.

1. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

G-Star makes me angry.

2. flyguy7

flyguy7 Senior member

are you an idiot?

well to be fair I'm not buying any of that crap at retail, but I know a few who do and 'I want to fit in'

3. chiamdream

chiamdream Senior member

Not so much "hate" as "don't understand," but...Psycho Bunny? People complain about RL/Lacoste-type logos, but compared to a cartoon rabbit Jolly Rodger, they're masterpieces of understatement. It wouldn't be that surprising if they didn't pop up in strangely prestigious places, like Leffot or Gilt. What could go better with your bespoke Edward Greens than a hideous purple scarf?

4. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Senior member

North Face, because I don't understand the appeal of wanting to look like EVERY single person you encounter in public... it's like a mass assimilation of drones off a factory production line, I swear at least 6 out of every 10 people I see on my daily commute have that awful, gawdy logo plastered somewhere on their outfit.

5. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Senior member

North Face, because I don't understand the appeal of wanting to look like EVERY single person you encounter in public... it's like a mass assimilation of drones off a factory production line, I swear at least 6 out of every 10 people I see on my daily commute have that awful, gawdy logo plastered somewhere on their outfit.

they're functional.

6. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

Ya know. I love my nf for snowboarding.

7. MIKE_JE

MIKE_JE Senior member

It would be hard to hate anything more than Skechers.

8. halisray

halisray Senior member

What is a rap or hip hop brand?

roccawear and all that shit

9. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

they're functional.

I agree; the logo does function pretty well as an indicator of conspicuous consumption and group identity.

Aren't there other, equally functional jackets that don't have an obvious logo?

And why would commuters (I assume this is on some form of urban public transportation) need ski parkas and the like to go to and from work? I can't think of the last time I had to break out my snow pants to take the bus to the office.

10. coldforge

coldforge Senior member

There are other, equally functional jackets if you've got the willingness to spend the money, the energy, the inclination and the know-how—all qualities that we tend to have here and that people who don't care about clothes tend to lack.

11. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Senior member

I would hardly call north face conspicuous consumption lolol.

12. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

- McNairy (for personal reasons I don't want to type on)

- Norse Projects (don't like the tag placement, not just the exposed one at the waist line. People with button downs no what I mean. Also overpriced for the relatively cheap materials they put into production).

- WWM (The fabric always looks ruffled and cheap, and the fit is unflattering imo on athletic frames). Note I don't "hate" this brand, but just don't appreciate them as much as a lot of other folks. I also don't purchase it anymore after too many bad fits.

As far as Nudies go - I think there is a lot of unjustified hate.

13. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

^^ Retail is maybe $100 - $300, which I think qualifies for plebe-level conspicuous consumption. It's a well-known brand name that's priced above entry level. It's not like it's an LV logo or anything, but it says that you paid more than you had to for your jacket.

Add in that it's unnecessary in most situations - the commuters aphextwin mentions are wearing them as "lifestyle accessories" rather than technical outerwear for outdoor activities - and yeah, I'd say that qualifies as a form of conspicuous consumption.

14. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

you forgot to mention that they're quite ugly. CG FTW

15. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

it sounds like you guys just hate the people who wear north face and are trying to pretend you hate the garments with this ridiculous claims about the obvious branding on it and how commuters don't need something technical. What about canada goose? moncler? if you're unlucky enough to have a 15 minute walk to the subway it can get pretty damn cold trying to get around in the winter. of course.. spoken from someone that hasn't ever owned a piece from any of those three brands [​IMG]

16. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

i just hate north face cuz its ugly

17. coldforge

coldforge Senior member

I don't know a single person who tries to rep their North Face. I think they had cachet when I was fourteen. Not since then. Most people I know, if they need a winter jacket, they'll get a North Face, or a fleece, or a North Face fleece. Those are the only two things that occur to a lot of people. I've never seen a North Face on anyone that I knew to take pride in their appearance (and I, like all of us, know a good number of people who a) take pride in their appearance and b) still buy overpriced shit that makes them look like douchebags). Maybe it's different elsewhere, but around here, North Face is just kind of what middle class urbanites wear when it's cold out.

EDIT: Not that I'm defending it as a brand; I've thought it was ugly as shit since old times.

18. S-Town

S-Town Senior member

Some kid here in St. Louis started South Butt as a parody of North Face. North Face filed a lawsuit and it caused a bunch of media hype. Now, I get more pissed when I see a South Butt shirt than I do a North Face coat, because the wearer thinks he is both stylin' and hilarious. At least the North Face wearer just thinks he's stylin'.

19. mattt

mattt Senior member

you forgot to mention that they're quite ugly. CG FTW

Funny you say that. I dunno about Montreal, but where I'm at, CG is beyond played out and pretty much the epitome of ostentatious status branding. At least its warm I guess.

20. sipang

sipang Senior member

I'm currently nurturing an irrational and ever-growing hatred toward Michael Bastian. I don't know where it comes from since until recently I was merely totally indifferent to the brand... but it's there.