• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which brand of Chelsea Boots for around $300?

Ajeagle6921

Reaction score
I am looking for some chelsea boots to go with jeans. My question is which brand should I get for around $300? I am looking now at the Allen Edmonds Ashbury or the RM Williams. The Ashbury is on sale now so would be quite a bit cheaper but I want to get a boot that will last a long time. Looks like the Ashbury has a rubber sole, is this normal with chelsea boots? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some chelsea boots to go with jeans. My question is which brand should I get for around $300? I am looking now at the Allen Edmonds Ashbury or the RM Williams. The Ashbury is on sale now so would be quite a bit cheaper but I want to get a boot that will last a long time. Looks like the Ashbury has a rubber sole, is this normal with chelsea boots? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Many Chelsea boots do have rubber soles, including some from C&J, which are considerably more expensive. I have the Ashbury in the distressed leather, but I was looking for something very casual. I recall thinking the brown looked nice. The sole is a mini-lug though, so not very discreet. A Dainite sole will not look so obviously "rubber."

Jim Profit

Reaction score
Look at this thread http://www.styleforum.net/t/324864/i-need-help-with-chelsea-boots

Here is an alternative i like a lot and well in range of your budget. A pair of Chelsea Boots from Septieme Largeur

http://www.septiemelargeur.fr/basile-gomme--forme-174-en-box-noir-p13975-fr.html

europrep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at this thread http://www.styleforum.net/t/324864/i-need-help-with-chelsea-boots

Here is an alternative i like a lot and well in range of your budget. A pair of Chelsea Boots from Septieme Largeur

http://www.septiemelargeur.fr/basile-gomme--forme-174-en-box-noir-p13975-fr.html

I second the Septieme Largeur. I have two pairs of their boots in different lasts (174 & 198). The 174 last is a bit too pointy for me. Take off 20% for the VAT.

http://www.septiemelargeur.fr/basile---last-198--box-claf-p20975-en.html

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RM Williams make a great casual chelsea boot. They may generally be leather-soled (I think one variant is rubber; most are leather) but it's amazingly durable leather. I've worn mine in seriously heavy rain, in snow, slush, mud and so on... and they always clean up well and then look great again. Remarkably solid.

I will say that I don't find them a pleasing match for non-casual looks. They're not the kind of chelsea you could wear mod-style with that kind of suit for example, in my opinion. You'll need something sleeker for that. But for denim, cords, even flannels, I'm certainly a fan.

Ajeagle6921

Reaction score
I am looking for a chelsea that I can wear with jeans, but also wear with slacks and sport coat. Is there a certain style of chelsea that will work with both? If not that is fine, but would prefer to purchase one that is the most versatile.

I have been leaning towards a RM Williams, but would consider the Septieme Largeur that is mentioned above. Which do you think is the better boot? I know the RM is more but I would be willing to spend more if it is worth it. Thanks again for help.

Jim Profit

Reaction score
They're in completely different segments according to me, if you are looking for good, moderately priced shoes then SL is really sharp. But RM is better quality. So if you can stretch your budget a bit, I think you should bet on a pair of RM. Personally I do not like the comfort model, i like my shoes to have a flat leather sole.

Last edited:

Ajeagle6921

Reaction score
Why do you not like the comfort? And which model did you purchase? Where have people been able to find best deal? I haven't been able to find anywhere in US that carries it for same place as the aus stores.

Last edited:

Jim Profit

Reaction score
I have both the Kangaroo Craftsman and the regular Yearling Craftsman and If you will use the shoes in casual contexts, I think you should buy it in Chestnut and with a Chisel toe. I also like the Yearling upper more than the Kangaroo. Really nice shoes, you villl not regret your buy.

Brock Zeigler

Reaction score
I like the R.M. Williams Comfort Craftsman boots due to the weather here in the northeastern U.S.

with jeans...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads