1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Which brand do you find the most annoying?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 10, 2011.

1. NotDickDiver

NotDickDiver Well-Known Member

^ And let's face it, those SS uniforms were pretty snazzy...

+1

Best dressed thugs in the history of mankind.

2. noxlord

noxlord Active Member

Rolex (Quality, but severely overpriced for what it is. They only sell because of obnoxious marketing, imo)
    Bose (100% marketing brand, no quality at all, so annoying)
    Apple

3. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

All those japanese repro jean brands that shed the dye and bleed like crazy when washed

4. Greggers

Greggers Well-Known Member

you can have the opinion that it is annoying to you, but i disagree with you that it is 'poseurwear' . it's clean-cut, professional to nicely-done casual and a lot of it is subdued. has great cuts and you dont find a lot of that market youre talking about wearing this brand.

I'm sorry, I used to have to sell Varvatos, and sit through the vendor presentations, and watch the fashion shows and promotional materials, sit aghast while witnessing how far Iggy Pop has sold out.

John Varvatos, especially John Varvatos USA, trades heavily on faux-authenticity. All those items in your closet that are worn and scuffed and relaxed and lived in -- lived in because you actually lived in them -- they have character. They have the memories of how they got that way. They have soul. I think that's worth something.

Or, you can take a short cut and just buy Varvatos. As the vendors tell us, "John is very 'rock-n-roll,' and you can really see how that rock-n-roll attitude infuses his collection [of prefab neo-grunge crap]. And see, look: He bought CBGBs. He's standing next to Slash. He's got cred."

But of course, it's not real cred, and the clothes don't have real cred either. It's all muted, distressed, phoney-baloney crap that isn't even made that well. Not clean-cut or professional at all. From what I've seen, a lot of Varvatos consumers tend to be well-heeled but insecure Gen Xers looking to navigate the world of grown-up clothes while still being able to feel like a teenager and not look too grown-up. Good fit? Mazzle-tov. I think you could probably find more authentic pieces that A) fit as well, B) don't cost as much, C) aren't trying so fucking hard.

1 person likes this.
  5. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

+1

Best dressed thugs in the history of mankind.

No the maffia had better SF approved clothes...

6. ArsenalDan

ArsenalDan Senior member

i was trying to be ironic
    i guess i failed

It was honestly a little difficult to parse your joke since you included obviously terrible brands, some middling brands that reasonable people could disagree on the annoying-ness of, and brands that people on SF almost unanimously agree are great.

7. Tuesday

Tuesday Active Member

I'll take a shot.

Rolex - I really love many of their watches, but I can't stand the BS surrounding them and the fans who spout ridiculous shit. They'll tell you the watches are made by hand and that Rolex represents the pinnacle of quality and innovation. Neither of these is remotely true. There's also the desperate aspirational nature of much of Rolex fandom that I find really pathetic. That said, I'm constantly tempted to get an older Submariner on a strap (as opposed to the older junk bracelets) as a beater watch for wearing around the house where no one can see my wrist.

Tommy Hilfiger - Who buys this shit?

Steve Madden - Designs ripped off from better companies. Also they appear way too often as someone's "dressy shoes".

Audi - The costly unreliability of an Italian car. They market the cars as luxury, but make even the most basic accessories options. Also, the dealership experience is wretched. Worst of all, my wife really wants one.

Banana Republic - Most of their stuff is so badly made these days, but the prices are for higher quality clothing. Their clothes are the same as are sold in Gap but in different colors and with a mark up. I wonder if they've turned some people from spending more on their clothing assuming that BR is good and good clothes last longer.

8. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Dior Homme is anything but "over the top loud fashion". Nearly all their pieces feature clean lines & mono tone palettes. It really doesn't get much simpler.
    It's not over the top, but it certainly is stupid. $400 skinny jeans and $600 cheap acrylic sweaters stolen straight from classic military designs. I'm telling you, the only fit pic I got props for in the S&D WAYWT thread was the one where I posted my army surplus jeep commando sweater and listed it as Dior Homme [​IMG].

10. Colint

Colint New Member

Rolex, prices kept artificially high in the used Market by controlling discount levels at retailers. Great watches but 30% more expensive than they should be. People aspire to own one because of the price, not the quality of the watch

11. gwolf

gwolf Senior member

^don't own one but i think they are undeniably classic/ versatile. hublot annoys me more.

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Audi - The costly unreliability of a German car. They market the cars as luxury, but make even the most basic accessories options. Also, the dealership experience is wretched. Worst of all, my wife really wants one.

FTFY

13. jobro

jobro Senior member

FTFY

Audi is German. I think he was referring to the reliability of such cars as Alfa Romeo etc.

14. AE7

AE7 Senior member

Lacoste - terribly overpriced (like 150USD for sneakers or a polo) in my country. Shitty quality in all garments I owned (for example - artificial leather used in driving sneakers, so my feet were sweating like they were in sauna; - bomber with a hideaway hood that soaked under the slightest rain).

Boss - shitty quality, personal experience here again.

Zilli, Hermes - they charging at least twice what their real prices should be.

LV - all these checked logos make me vomit.

Prada - what is with all the plastic shit? makes you look like you are in a graffiti garbage bag. Not that these plastic clothes are technical or breathable.

HM, Zara, UCB, Uniqlo, Superdry, Gap - very, very low quality.

Jack Willies - cost twice what they should be for made in china cottons and faux furs on the collars, some of their stuff is well-made, though.

Viviene Westwood - this old woman can not understand that it is a 21 century now and her stuff is aesthetically disgusting.

Levis, Gant, AF, TH - the same mediocre quality made in china cotton stuff with different logos.

Numerous made up turkish, russian and chinese brands that try (successfully with people who dont know much about clothes) pass as italian or american - US Polo Association, TJ collection for example.

15. sgim

sgim New Member

Ed Hardy - WTF, seriously?

16. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

I can't hate on any brand for the way their clothing looks, since it's not like they're pulling a fast one on me. But I'm annoyed with Brooks Brothers, for their ridiculous delays for on-line purchases. I ordered a tie from them and after four months of delays, canceled it. A month later, it showed up! [​IMG] I understand others have had the same problem.

17. tomorrowstars

tomorrowstars Senior member

And it came to pass that a man who sold shirts was smitten by hard times. Neither did any of his merchandise move nor did he prosper. And he prayed and said, "Lord, why hast thou left me to suffer thus? All mine enemies sell their goods except I. And it's the height of the season. My shirts are good shirts....

And the Lord heard the man and said, "About thy shirts..."

"Yes, Lord," the man said, falling to his knees.

"Put an alligator over the pocket."

"Pardon me, Lord?"

"Just do what I'm telling you. You won't be sorry."

And the man sewed on to all his shirts a small alligator symbol and lo and behold, suddenly his merchandise moved like gangbusters, and there was much rejoicing while amongst his enemies there were wailing and gnashing of teeth.

- Woody Allen, Without Feathers

18. thebunk

thebunk Senior member

Aldo, Diesel, mall brands (AE, Gap, Banana Republic), Ed Hardy, etc are all obvious and rightfully acceptable answers.

I was hoping for more good submissions like Gant by Michael Bastian as I think that actually inspires a good conversation (a respectable masculine designer boing an Americana brand but it ultimately fails due to its over-the-topness). Tom Ford as well, since much of his stuff is very timeless and fasionable in my opinion (footwear, ties, pocketsquares, etc), however expensive. His suits are very annoying to me however with those bigass lapels.

I can see some peoples point regarding branding based clothing, but i think there is a huge difference in some small-logo based lines (Lacoste, Penguin, Polo, Fred Perry) vs. Ed Hardy, Armani Exchange, etc. Obviously, having everypiece of your clothing, every day with a logo on it is too much.

The few posts that had Alden, Red Wing and Gant in here are mindnumbing. I really do not how any of these brands can be considered "annoying". Answers like this smack with trying too hard in my opinion, especially when no real reason is really given.

19. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Red Wings are just great quality boots. I've had my pair for fifteen years, they still look great, and I've never had to resole them. I was a little surprised to come here and see their newer, more sneakery-looking stuff had taken off with the early twenties crowd, the kind who likes to overpay for what was once considered workwear. But maybe that's where the annoying comes in: commodification of the 'authentic' is always a little icky.

20. thebunk

thebunk Senior member

Red Wings are just great quality boots. I've had my pair for fifteen years, they still look great, and I've never had to resole them. I was a little surprised to come here and see their newer, more sneakery-looking stuff had taken off with the early twenties crowd, the kind who likes to overpay for what was once considered workwear. But maybe that's where the annoying comes in: commodification of the 'authentic' is always a little icky.

But does this make their product or even the brand annoying? It is not their fault that their product has become trendy. Hell, does trendy even equal annoying? I don't know, there are so many other, better targets here is all.