• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

which boot is best? (shell showdown)

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a few months ago I decided I wanted - a shell boot in one of the lighter colors - classically styled and versatile - winter appropriate, BUT I don't want a commando sole - preferably with speedhooks for easy on/off - not at full retail price yes, that is quite a wishlist 2 have come up recently that fit some, but not all of what I wanted. I can't afford to keep both. which one do you guys think is better/a better fit for me? Contender 1: C&J for BB Dark Brown Shell Cordovan Pro's are: I love the captoe, love the speedhooks, this is a real kick-ass boot thats nearly 2 inches higher than Alden boots Cons are: the color is darker than I hoped it would be, it's about $200 more than Contender #2, and many posters recently opined that the Dainite sole is actually really bad in the winter, it's made more for rain/wet vs ice/snow. I have a longwing and a loafer in Burgundy shell already...so for my purposes the ravello may be more versatile and that is the main drawback to the c&j
IMG_0289.jpg
IMG_0290.jpg
Contender 2: Alden Ravello NST Handsewn Pro's are: Ravello is my favorite color of shell and in boot form is nearly impossible to find at the discount I did. I would probably just have the leather sole "vibram'd" which may be a better option than Dainite. basically just a grooved, thin, rubber topy Cons are: I'm not sure what I think about the NST. my gut tells me I prefer a wingtip or captoe boot, but tastes changes and 6 months ago I wanted a plain toe. all eyelets vs speedhooks makes the on/off a bit harder. is this a style that will look good in 5/10 years? my bad pic
IMAG0100.jpg
boots together along with some other shell colors
IMAG0096.jpg
what say you, style forum?

GBer

Reaction score
Some scuffing on the BB. It could do with a polish.

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
Depending on what size they are, my advice changes.
sneaky2.gif
Assuming neither of these would fit me and that you are not going to offer the one you decide to get rid of here on the forum, then I would say that Alden is just way too nice to part with. That color is just amazing! I love the CJ, too, and would keep both were I in your position, personally.

Now, if the boots were a size in the 10 neighborhood, my opinion changes. Definitely keep the CJ and sell ME the Alden! Yo won't be happy with it in the long run and I will.
devil.gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J is a more versatile color. Dainite is better in snow than topy'd leather. Go with #1.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re color

I have a longwing and a loafer in Burgundy shell already...so for my purposes the ravello may be more versatile and that is the main drawback to the c&j

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look and colour of the BB pair better and I am still not convinced dainite is bad in snow. Maybe on ice. However, I have seen the price at BB and they are pretty expensive.

If you have the money, #1.

xudisco07

Reaction score
I recently got the BB ones and I walked in some snow and they seemed to have more grip than leather. The BB is more versatile I think.

I did realize the really annoying thing about the sole is that if you have pedals in your car that have upraised pieces of grippy rubber the lug of the sole can momentarily get caught on them.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
letting English people assemble shell cordovan shoes = win

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like you really want to keep the NST ravello.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Sounds like you really want to keep the NST ravello.
heh I have just coveted a Ravello boot for a while. I guess I am looking for a reason to keep it, your right. I generally prefer most everything about the C&J boot, except the fact that its a darker shell however, I keep looking at the C&J and thinking how kick ass it is, and dressy, and versatile, all at the same time. I didn't even realize how much bigger it was until I took a picture of them together it's better to spend more on something if you love it that much more.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the looks of the C&J boot better. It's easy to dress up or down with it and it has a great color. So what if you have several shoes in burgundy, the color goes with everything. Also the sole is better for inclement weather.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#1 is much more to my liking. I know you have other shoes in this color but there's a good reason for that, it's a great and versatile color that goes with almost anything. The same isn't true about the Alden's (in this guy's admittedly conservative opinion - I think the Aldens look cool but can't see myself choosing them over an identical shoe in nurgundy if both were in front of me while getting dressed in the morning.) And it's not like you're buying another longwing in burgundy, this is a completely different kind of shoe.

HarleyBob

Reaction score
I think the Alden's look horrendous. I can't believe you would even consider them even if you did get a good deal on them. I feel bad for you buddy. Bad enough that if they are a size 12D I will help you dispose of them. Send them to me, I will help you out and pay the shipping, and upon receipt I will slowly destroy them, one wearing at a time.

Anything for a fellow SF'er.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads