• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which body structure fits each Designer suit

earmani

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I really don't post to often as I am much more of a reader than talker and pretty ignorant when it comes to Men's suit apparel. I need to know what type of suits fits what type of man. Example J.Abboud are meant to be worn by a man with broad shoulders etc. Also any information that anyone might know about any of these designers that would be useful please just help me out.

Thank you.
Erich

Canali
Zenga
Hickey Freedman
Armani
Hart Shaffner Marks
Canali
Zenga
Hugo Boss
J.Abboud-

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canali - extremely fat in the waist, awful cut for a fit person.
Zenga - medium trim
Hickey Freedman - average
Armani - slim
Hart Shaffner Marks - no experience
Hugo Boss - slim
J.Abboud - runs the gamut

earmani

Reaction score
Thanks Anarch, I am working at Nordstrom as a support and I am moving up to sales in Men's Furnishings within the week so I just needed some of the fits.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is some discussion of this in the latest GQ, in the section on dressing for body-type. Their advice (surprise surprise) is 95% useless garbage.

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
There is some discussion of this in the latest GQ, in the section on dressing for body-type. Their advice (surprise surprise) is 95% useless garbage.

That was one of the worst articles GQ has run in a while. It seems every issue there is another story on buying a suit, wearing a suit or how a suit should fit, work for you or light up like an Xmas tree.

oldseed

Reaction score

for the most part, i thought the advice was good. at least it was for the athletic type. i'm athletic (6'2/200) their advice echoed my own clothing: 2 button suits, low button stance.

seed

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You're right, Phil. One of the things that annoys me most about GQ is that they contradict themselves with their fashion advice fifteen times in the same issue. One would think the editors would catch this... but alas.

In one issue a few years back, I remember shaking my head because one article raved about 3B suits (that one should only buy a 3B), then twenty pages later an article talked about how 3B suits were out and it was now all about 2B (one should ONLY buy a 2B!), etc etc. One article will say stripes are great, another solids are the ONLY way to go... another says black shoes are bad... another says you should ALWAYS have at least one pair of black shoes. Black suits... bad! Later on, black suits... good!

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee lin
i saw a woman wearing dior homme on the sartorialist once.
smile.gif

Umm... okay. Actually, dior homme is quite popular amongst ladies; I know of several who wear it quite often.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee lin
i saw a woman wearing dior homme on the sartorialist once.
smile.gif

In fact Dior Homme is made for girly men... I even bought the Dior Homme fragance and never use it because it smells like a woman's perfume.

CAshtead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldseed
for the most part, i thought the advice was good. at least it was for the athletic type. i'm athletic (6'2/200) their advice echoed my own clothing: 2 button suits, low button stance.

seed

I think you'll find that GQ will mostly aim their articles at the more athletic body type because they assume that is what people want to look like and what they want their reader base to be.

There may have possibly been some good points in the article but I stear clear of the fashion magazines. A true person of style should be setting the trend, not following others. A stylish person is confident and comfortable with their own body shape and doesn't worry about what others think their body shape should be

Babar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
In fact Dior Homme is made for girly men... I even bought the Dior Homme fragance and never use it because it smells like a woman's perfume.

laugh.gif

I really like the regular DH fragrance (not so much the new cologne version). It's not too versatile--I find it too heavy and powdery to use in the daytime--but it's perfect for nights out, which is probably its "intended" use. The best Dior fragrance is Eau Noire though. That's probably my absolute favorite scent at the moment, and not at all "feminine". It actually reminds me of another favorite of mine, Yohji Homme, but I digress.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Babar
laugh.gif

I really like the regular DH fragrance (not so much the new cologne version). It's not too versatile--I find it too heavy and powdery to use in the daytime--but it's perfect for nights out, which is probably its "intended" use. The best Dior fragrance is Eau Noire though. That's probably my absolute favorite scent at the moment, and not at all "feminine". It actually reminds me of another favorite of mine, Yohji Homme, but I digress.

We obviously share a similar interest in fragrances, too. I completely agree with you. I also find Eau Noire to be quite similar to Annick Goutal "Sables" (both have the immortelle note). If you haven't tried the Sables, definitely give it a try.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was talking about this one
aftershave.jpg

Truly a girly man parfum
tounge.gif

The Great Wazu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by arnach
Hugo Boss - slim

In my experience, it depends on the line. The red label stuff is pretty slim fitting -- and I have a few suits that fit me very well. However, their regular black label line tends to be much bulkier, requiring an ardent amount of altering.

I've found Theory to be pretty slim-fitting, along with Gucci.

Babar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
We obviously share a similar interest in fragrances, too. I completely agree with you. I also find Eau Noire to be quite similar to Annick Goutal "Sables" (both have the immortelle note). If you haven't tried the Sables, definitely give it a try.

I haven't tried that one, but the basenotes reviews of it sound intriguing, and right up my alley. I'll definitely check it out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads