• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which blazer? Making smart basic wardrobe choices.

escapist

Reaction score
Noob here. I've got a question about unstructured cotton sport coats. I'm aiming to start developing my own style post-college; I'm a couple of years out from graduation and figured that I should start dressing (more) like an adult. I'd like to try out an unstructured cotton sport coat in navy for the early fall. I've found these three choices:

Target casual blazer ($40) (100% cotton; hopefully it fits, there is no size chart)

Gap Garment-dyed washed blazer ($70; 100% cotton)

Ralph Lauren Organic Chino Sport Coat ($150, 65/35% cotton/linen)

Ideally I'd like to spend less than 70 or 80 bucks, so I'll have some money left over for tailoring if I need it. I'm not sure what I should be shooting for in terms of quality vs. price, which is why I tossed in the Ralph Lauren coat.

Also, I've been going through the threads a bit, but if anyone has any recommended threads for basic wardrobe staples, I would be much obliged.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The RL one will likely hold up the best. However, you might go with the Target one as it looks serviceable and you can "try out" the style so to speak without spending a lot of cash. If it falls apart, it was $40 and you can get a new better one if you decide the item is really your thing. The sizing issue however is on you.

lineate

Reaction score
I'm afraid that no matter what, the Target and Gap jackets will never fit properly, no matter how much money you throw at a tailor. This is especially true if you are tall and/or thin. Big box stores make clothes that fit like, well, big boxes.

Your best bet is trying to save up 50 extra bucks and buy the RL jacket and have it tailored nice and lovingly.

Failing that - if money if truly the deciding factor - why not try H&M or Uniqlo? Uniqlo does some nice unstructured jackets in your price range.

Also, at the risk of being pedantic, it's a jacket. It's not a coat. The terms are not interchangeable. A coat is long and goes over a jacket. And now you know :)

Last edited:

escapist

Reaction score
Sizing is always a challenge. I'm 6'3" and about 250 with long arms (shirts: 18-37/38). The plus of the Target jacket (thanks, lineate) is that I can hunt it down in the store and try it on. Today is the last day for the Gap jacket at 30 percent off. I like the idea of the RL jacket, but since this is a new look for me, I am wary of dropping a chunk of cash on something that I'm not sure of.

lineate

Reaction score
Being that size will play to your favour with the cheaper jackets.

I'm 1 inch shorter and a full 80lbs lighter than you, so that is obviously colouring my opinion.

Two things to mind going forward:

1 - fit is the most important thing for a man and the easiest to **** up. Be very critical in the mirror with whatever jacket you select.
2 - contrary to a lot of what you may read on here, a tailor can only fix so much. Slight alterations can make a world of difference, but nobody can polish a turd.

Good luck and happy shopping!

escapist

Reaction score
Thanks for the wisdom, folks. Three votes for the RL jacket is making me think twice about getting it. I'm sure I can score a coupon from somewhere online and get free shipping and hopefully save a few more percent. Definitely worth considering.

I hadn't considered uniqlo. I walked into a couple stores when I was in Asia, but I couldn't find the elusive XXL. It looks like they can be snagged in NYC, though. The price is good and I think the 2XL would fit me in the trunk, but my only concern would be the sleeve length. I'd need at least one more inch, maybe even an inch and a half. Effing long arms! Any word on if there is that much fabric left in the sleeve?

Last edited:

lineate

Reaction score
US sizing is adjusted for bigger Westwrn bodies. You won't need a XXL here.

Sleeves are longer as well, obviously.

escapist

Reaction score
I took a look at the size chart yesterday, and it seemed like Uniqlo's 2XL would be just about right for me, assuming the chart's not terribly glamour sized...

parmand

Reaction score
I'm quite a bit smaller than you (5'11, 165lbs, Normally wear 15.5 33" shirts and 38-40R jackets), but I've had great luck with the H&M jackets. I'm not sure how big they go, but that may work for you and would be in your price point.

How about scouring Ebay for something? I've had decent luck there too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads