• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Alden style is best for whiskey shell cordovan?

adfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amlai
I've got 3 pairs in whiskey shell, NST, Indy, and chukka. Chukka is starting to become my favorite as it seems the most versatile, but the Indy is the most comfortable for me. I've been wanting a pair of longwings though... then I'll be done (though a plaza captoe would be great as well).

img2646sized.jpg

img2703sized.jpg

img2696sized.jpg

Sir,

Excellent collection of whiskeys...I just wish that more stores carried them in 12 E.

Best regards

adfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916
I agree. I have three pairs of the chukkas (#8, whiskey and cigar) and have never been too thrilled with the huge rolls in them. My chukkas' waves are too huge IMO and all three pairs ripple differently. Comparing pair-to-pair as well left and right foot within a given pair...all different. Ah, well.

Interesting note about the rolls...at first I really hated the rolls. Mine are also different by pair and left to right. I'm used to the rolls...ok just a bit. I usually buy my Alden barrie last shoes in a 12 E but the Chukkas seemed too tight in this size. So I bought 2 pairs in 13D - but the rolls were so big because the shoes were too big for me.

However, I have a pair of 12 E that were snug when I bought them - which have since stretched for a perfect fit - and the rolls - creases - are smaller and don't bother me as much.

Perhaps buying snug Chukkas could minimize the rolls.

Best regards

MickCollins1916

Reaction score
Originally Posted by adfan
Interesting note about the rolls...at first I really hated the rolls. Mine are also different by pair and left to right. I'm used to the rolls...ok just a bit. I usually buy my Alden barrie last shoes in a 12 E but the Chukkas seemed too tight in this size. So I bought 2 pairs in 13D - but the rolls were so big because the shoes were too big for me.

However, I have a pair of 12 E that were snug when I bought them - which have since stretched for a perfect fit - and the rolls - creases - are smaller and don't bother me as much.

Perhaps buying snug Chukkas could minimize the rolls.

Best regards

Thanks. I totally agree that I should've bought them more snug. In my excitement to find whiskey and cigar chukkas at the same time in the size I THOUGHT I should be wearing-these were my first Barrie lasted shoes-I snapped them up and began wearing immediately. Thanks to my high instep, I didn't think I could comfortably downsize to 8.5E and that same high instep caused the large rolls to form in the 9Es. As much as I enjoy the characteristic waves, I wish I would have gone with smaller pairs...but instead, I guess this is an expensive lesson learned on the Barrie last fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads