• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which AE loafers?

enarchay

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a pair of penny loafers during the AE tent sale, but I have no experience with AE loafers and could use some input.

On the list of seconds, the only penny loafers I see available in my size are the Walden and the Everett. The former is nearly double the price of the latter. Are there any noticeable differences between these models of which I should be aware? How comfortable are these loafers? Do they have any arch support? (I currently have the AE McClain, and I think it has sufficient arch support, if that helps for comparison.)

For discontinued models, they also have the Burke and Hanover available in my size. What do you guys think of these models?

Finally, how would you say these models size? I take an 8.5EEE in the McClain (8-last). Is that what I should look for in these (and other) loafers?

Thanks.

eml4sker

Reaction score
They are among the most unpopular that AE sells, but the Urbinos are the best shoes I've ever owned. I probably own 8 pairs of AE.

bigchris1313

Reaction score
Walden is corrected grain. Everett is discontinued, but is not corrected grain; however, it doesn't take much of a shine. The description "purse leather," which I read somewhere on SF, is not wholly inaccurate. It's extremely soft. At any rate, the chili color is good and fairly rich, but it doesn't seem to get much richer (though I admit that I've only had the shoe a few months). I don't know much about arch support--because my arches aren't that high--but based on my limited understanding, I'd say that arch support is moderate at best. The kick seam (?) at the rear of the Everett makes it slightly more casual. If anything, I'd estimate that the Everett runs slightly long. I will say that it is comfortable; however, I should warn that as a soft-leather shoe--and a loafer at that--it's not terribly sleek. That's the nature of penny loafers, I suppose. And it's not very form-fitting: if you're looking for support, look somewhere else. Leather this soft isn't going to give you a snug feeling. At just over $100, the Everett is a great buy. If you really want a shine on your loafer, go for the Walden, CG be damned. If you'd rather have the a more "genuine" but matte leather, at half the price, go with the Everett. Also, if you reflexively shy away from CG--as I suspect many SFers do--go with the Everett. I have no experience with AE loafers outside those two.

enarchay

Reaction score
The Everett sounds like the better buy, but it's only available as a second. I've never bought seconds before. What are your guys' experiences with buying seconds?

Also, the Everett is available in both chili and tan. Which would you guys recommend?

And how do you think the Everett sizes compared to the 8-last?

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Presidio:

3872.jpg

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bellyhungry
I like the Presidio:
3872.jpg

I don't believe it's available during the sale. I can only afford to buy them on sale or as seconds.

chyrspchuck

Reaction score
last week when i looked the Presidio was listed on the sale, 2nd for $157 i believe.....

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chyrspchuck
last week when i looked the Presidio was listed on the sale, 2nd for $157 i believe.....

Maybe it's not in my size. I take an 8.5EEE, as far as I know.

gtnc

Reaction score
Take a look at the Randolph, my favorite AE loafer. Dressier than most penny loafers, but can be dressed up or down easily.

enarchay

Reaction score
Guys, I'm dying here. I can't decide what to buy.

I recently got refunded on my SAS loafers for $180, so I have some money to spend on some loafers. Basically, my choices are the following: Everett, Walden, Westchester, Randolph. The Walden is corrected grain, so I'm ruling that out. The Everett is a steal at $99 and looks excellent, but I've heard it is really soft, doesn't offer much support, and runs wide in the heel; I'm also not sure if it is recraftable since it is not welted. Everyone seems to love the Randolph, but it's a bit over what I'd like to spend at $235. The Westchester might be a compromise at $210, but I know nothing about it.

What would you guys do in my situation? Again, I'm trying to spend as little as I can, but at the same time, I want to get something that I'll like.

Thanks.

enarchay

Reaction score
Pretty sure the Randolph is not an option because I have a high instep.

That leaves the Everett or Westchester. What would you guys do?

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enarchay
Pretty sure the Randolph is not an option because I have a high instep.

That leaves the Everett or Westchester. What would you guys do?

I hope you pulled the trigger on that tent sale. I sure did.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads