• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which AE Color Pairs With Jeans?

datrat

Reaction score
Sup stylelish folks--

I'm thinkin of getting some AE shoes to pair with jeans (dark and medium blue denim) and a blazer w/ OCBD. I'm white with chocolate brown hair.

I'm eying the coffee and walnut colors of some AE shoes like the Boulevard. I think walnut does look nice with lighter jeans but maybe is overplayed lately? Also I'm not sure it will look great with my dark brown hair...I never really wear that brown for anything else. And then with a navy suit they might contrast too much. Coffee on the other hand may look too formal? Maybe it has too much red tones in it, hard to tell from online only.

Which AE color pairs best with jeans? (and with me!?)

Pics welcome of outfits with AE and jeans. Would love to get some ideas from seeing what you all do.

Remington Cashmere

Reaction score
Sup stylelish folks--

I'm thinkin of getting some AE shoes to pair with jeans (dark and medium blue denim) and a blazer w/ OCBD. I'm white with chocolate brown hair.

I'm eying the coffee and walnut colors of some AE shoes like the Boulevard. I think walnut does look nice with lighter jeans but maybe is overplayed lately? Also I'm not sure it will look great with my dark brown hair...I never really wear that brown for anything else. And then with a navy suit they might contrast too much. Coffee on the other hand may look too formal? Maybe it has too much red tones in it, hard to tell from online only.

Which AE color pairs best with jeans? (and with me!?)

Pics welcome of outfits with AE and jeans. Would love to get some ideas from seeing what you all do.

Walnut/Bourbon
Oxblood
Chilli

datrat

Reaction score
It's recommended that the contrast between your hair and skin should match the amount of contrast in your outfit.
That's an interesting idea...explains why some of my outfits look off sometimes...

But how does that translate to shoes? Should the shoes/pants contrast match the contrast in the rest of the outfit (between shirt and pants, say) which is supposed to match the contrast of the skin & hair?

So dark blue jeans + light blue OCBD = walnut rather than coffee, because coffee matches the dark blue in darkness?

Can anyone point me to an instagram or blogger that uses lots of AE with jeans to get ideas?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think AE's walnut is a hard color to wear. It's very orange-y. Would go for just a simple dark brown.

S.R.M. 1977

Reaction score
That's an interesting idea...explains why some of my outfits look off sometimes...

But how does that translate to shoes? Should the shoes/pants contrast match the contrast in the rest of the outfit (between shirt and pants, say) which is supposed to match the contrast of the skin & hair?

So dark blue jeans + light blue OCBD = walnut rather than coffee, because coffee matches the dark blue in darkness?

Can anyone point me to an instagram or blogger that uses lots of AE with jeans to get ideas?
The contrast principle is one of many to consider when putting together an outfit. Here it is:

The shoes and clothing should be considered a unit (outfit). Your head as a whole is a unit. Match one unit's contrast to the other.

High Contrast Head = contrasting colors between items in outfit
Med Con. Head = some contrasting colors and some matching colors between items
Low Con. Head = matching colors in your outfit

That being said, your pants and tops are closest to your head, so they have a higher impact on aesthetics than your shoes will in terms of this 'contrast' concept.

Sounds like your head is Med. Contrast. So, dark blue jeans and a light blue shirt are great. The lighter jeans within this concept would not be great. With the shoes, both provide the contrast you need depending on what jeans you choose.

Ultimately, the darker coffee shoes are better to pair with both jeans whereas the lighter walnut shoes might only pair with the light denim: shoes should be darker than the pants or at least matching.

127.72 MHz

Reaction score
Any of the brown hues, oxblood hues / burgundy, I wear my AE Daltons in burnished Walnut with darker denim and get compliments often.

You could pair black with a shade of denim you find pleasing,...

In my opinion the sky is the limit depending on shoe hue and denium shade.

Good luck,

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly the walnut looks pretty good with a blue suit. Until last year, I’d never owned any walnut shoes and frankly didn’t care for them; the color just seemed a little too... middlebrow. I’m big on darker browns, they are more versatile than walnut and a more classic color IMO. Plus I’m in my mid 40s and try to dress in an age appropriate manner, walnut seems like it’s for younger guys.

But last year I got really good deals on AExBB walnut penny loafers ($99), Daltons ($114) and Liverpools ($199). And honestly - I was wrong. The walnut looks excellent. The Daltons, in particular, look great with a blue pinstripe suit. The loafers are kind of...meh... but the Liverpools are a great casual boot, the walnut looks nice and goes with everything casual.

That said, if you are just starting out you’ll probably be better off with dark brown. Walnut is a good 5th or 6th dress shoe, it’s not a mainstay color IMO. But if you have a strong preference for it, I would not worry - it’ll look great with a suit or jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads