• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which accessories brands (leather goods) are true luxury & high-end for you?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I can afford it more than once a year, then it's not luxury.

ElDorado

Reaction score
@rach2jlc Thanks for your opinion! @laughwithm3 Good luck selling your ORIGINALs!...but one can get those WITH 'original boxes' at the HK night market for half YOUR price...
bigstar[1].gif

emakris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ElDorado
Brands like Aston Martin, Bentley, Mandarin Oriental, are coming pretty close to this definition. Hope this helps.
One could assume you are talking poppycock. The brands you consider of "doing products regardless of estimated market forecasts, analysis and production costs" are truly exceptional but: - Aston Martin uses Ford components. And we all know that Ford components are far from being the epitome of quality - Bentley uses VW components. Admittedly, aeons better than Ford but exist in most cars on the road - Ferrari uses components found in a Fiat Punto You don't know it yet but you are looking for bespoke. You are looking for the Veyron (where every button has been specially commissioned) and the Zonda of the clothing world. My only advice to you is not to be so disdainful because in your search for the Veyron and the Zonda you are dismissing the Ferrari and the Aston Martin.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the OP. Brands like Hermes, Prada, LV, pretty much define traditional "luxury houses", so it's hard to fathom what you mean by "luxury brand" if you leave those out.

As for the definition that if someone is able to save to buy a piece, that leaves out every brand in the world. You're talking about leather goods, not cars or real estate.

emakris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
To the OP. Brands like Hermes, Prada, LV, pretty much define traditional "luxury houses", so it's hard to fathom what you mean by "luxury brand" if you leave those out.

As for the definition that if someone is able to save to buy a piece, that leaves out every brand in the world. You're talking about leather goods, not cars or real estate.

A Hermes Croc Birkin bag went for a cool $65,000 but, yeah, I agree with your sentiments above.

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
+1. Nomade and utah both are about as nice as you'll find in any non-bespoke item. That's what I'm saying, I have no idea what the OP actually wants... nor do I think he does. He just wants some esoteric "most luxurious" marker which isn't really tied to reality.

Thinking it over... maybe Tom Ford is exactly what the OP needs, as his descriptions almost read like a TF press release.

I find LV "real" leather products ( utah/taiga/nomade) to be quite sub-par. There's just something unattractive about the leather they use. I would pick much less expensive makers for similar products (Mulholland, etc.)

aleeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
I find LV "real" leather products ( utah/taiga/nomade) to be quite sub-par. There's just something unattractive about the leather they use. I would pick much less expensive makers for similar products (Mulholland, etc.)

I actually like LV products. I think they're monogram ages well over time and their leathers are good quality. I have Epi and Nomade products and they look good and hold up very well to wear and tear. Mulholland looks bland compared to LV designs BTW.

Hermes uses very nice leather on their accessories. I only have a belt from them, but I would consider it a luxury product.

OP, I have no idea who is in your consideration set.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Leather belts aren't worth spending too much money on; the same can be said for leather wallets. They both have a short life. The only leather goods truly worth spending money on are briefcases and shoes.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Leather belts aren't worth spending too much money on; the same can be said for leather wallets. They both have a short life. The only leather goods truly worth spending money on are briefcases and shoes.

Jon, Jon. WTF are you talking about with such authority? Who wears out a leather belt? In fact, good leather products get better with age... The only reason a leather belt would have a short lifetime is because you are on the cheesecake diet.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Leather belts aren't worth spending too much money on; the same can be said for leather wallets. They both have a short life.

Really?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emakris
One could assume you are talking poppycock. The brands you consider of "doing products regardless of estimated market forecasts, analysis and production costs" are truly exceptional but:

- Aston Martin uses Ford components. And we all know that Ford components are far from being the epitome of quality
- Bentley uses VW components. Admittedly, aeons better than Ford but exist in most cars on the road
- Ferrari uses components found in a Fiat Punto

You don't know it yet but you are looking for bespoke. You are looking for the Veyron (where every button has been specially commissioned) and the Zonda of the clothing world. My only advice to you is not to be so disdainful because in your search for the Veyron and the Zonda you are dismissing the Ferrari and the Aston Martin.

Bugatti is owned by VW and while it is an absolute marvel with many custom parts, it is still a vehicle wholly developed by VW group. Oh and while VW is not exactly open about any parts that might have been borrowed from the bins, we do know that at least some of the hardware, wiring, etc used is standard VW stuff. Engine architecture is also very VW. (still amazing)

As for the Zonda, it uses a MB AMG engine and borrowed many standard super car parts (brakes, suspension bits, etc.. Not sure who manufacturers the ****** for it). Not like every single part was developed just specifically for this car. Zonda specialty was always the bodies, but now they've built up the expertise to do some serious engineering as well. Also an amazing amazing car.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it really doesn't matter where the parts come from sometimes. NOTHING is completely one-off or unique in the car world today - simply too complicated, too many standards and compatibility issues, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics