• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whey vs. Milk

Titleist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
If he actually said it had to be after a workout, then he's wrong and dumb. Digestion doesn't stop and start around working out.

I don't understand why people think a workout is some kind of isolated entity that changes the body. Everything done -- eating, drinking, ********, walking, etc. engages so many different parts of the body that they all have an effect. When someone starts talking about hard and fast rules for weight loss/gain or strength/speed or what have you they always end up looking like fools because they can't see the forest for the trees.

The post-workout window is a timeframe in which in the body recovers. Nutrients in the bloodstream from previous meals can be sufficient and the idea that a person needs to blast their body with protein and such after a workout is just wrong.

Well, what does your PWO nutrition look like?

It's like you're just picking the most controversial stance, for whatever reason. As you know, the muscles are depleted of carb and protein stores PWO and are primed for nutrient uptake. Why not take advantage of this period? While I don't agree that there is some magical 30 minute window, the foundation is legitimate. And unless you have a study that says otherwise, I'll continue with my current PWO protocol.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, I wonder what percent of whey is actually absorbed if you just mix it with water. Seems pointless to drink 30 grams of whey protein when your body absorbs only 5 and the rest is pissed/shitted out. Another reason I like mixing it with milk.

Anyway, want to know the absolute best PWO nutrition that helped me gain more than anything? Beans and cornbread.

edit: I'm no authority on the matter though. I only weigh 130 lbs, but I started out at 90 so I gained pretty well in 2 years.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Titleist
Well, what does your PWO nutrition look like? It's like you're just picking the most controversial stance, for whatever reason. As you know, the muscles are depleted of carb and protein stores PWO and are primed for nutrient uptake. Why not take advantage of this period? While I don't agree that there is some magical 30 minute window, the foundation is legitimate. And unless you have a study that says otherwise, I'll continue with my current PWO protocol.
They aren't depleted of carbohydrate and protein stores and the supposed post-workout window is way over-thought. Muscles are more insulin sensitive at that time but insulin sensitivity and release varies between individuals and that's why hard and fast rules are terrible. If you need a hyperbolic example to understand what I'm saying, try telling a diabetic they need X amount of protein and Y amount of carbs after a workout and let's see their response. If you were an NBA player or another athlete in an almost perpetually overtrained condition throughout the season it can help. Since most people run less than 20 miles per week and do whatever chest/back/biceps/whatever split workout it doesn't matter a whole lot.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is that why the creatine **** I bought at Walmart in a moment of weakness has like 60 grams of sugar per 8 grams of creatine per serving? Shoulda read the label, I'm afraid to even try the stuff now.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Is that why the creatine **** I bought at Walmart in a moment of weakness has like 60 grams of sugar per 8 grams of creatine per serving? Shoulda read the label, I'm afraid to even try the stuff now.

Just buy Creatine Monohydrate - you don't all that delivery system crap. CM has no sugar at all. Many people do mix it into fruit juices and obviously that adds sugar. Much of expensive Creatine mixtures are basically CM and not much more than kool-aid mixed up. You pay a premium for kool-aid when you could add your own juice much cheaper. I put a teaspoon into my tea in the morning. It dissolves perfectly.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so should this sugar/creatine mix be taken before or after workout? i'm assuming the timing matters

Titleist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
They aren't depleted of carbohydrate and protein stores and the supposed post-workout window is way over-thought.
Even if they aren't depleted, they're decreased and the muscles are prepared to absorb nutrients. I agree that it's over-thought, but the fundamentals are accurate.

Originally Posted by why
Muscles are more insulin sensitive at that time but insulin sensitivity and release varies between individuals and that's why hard and fast rules are terrible.
The same thing could be argued in any facet of life. No one's attempting a to place a steadfast policy on PWO nutrition. It's just asinine to dismiss PWO nutrition as unimportant.

Originally Posted by why
If you need a hyperbolic example to understand what I'm saying, try telling a diabetic they need X amount of protein and Y amount of carbs after a workout and let's see their response.
We aren't talking about diabetics. We're only concerned with the average, ailment-free gym-goer.

I'm just curious what you do, nutrition-wise, following a workout?

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never done any timing w/ Creatine. My container of CM (GNC brand) doesn't mention timing either. I don't even add sugar, I just stir it into straight hot tea. Many people go through a loading phase where they take a teaspoon 4 X per day for 5 days and then cut back to once per day after that. I don't even do that. I keep it on the counter and it goes in my morning tea once a day.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Titleist
We aren't talking about diabetics. We're only concerned with the average, ailment-free gym-goer. I'm just curious what you do, nutrition-wise, following a workout?
Do you understand what diabetes is and how it relates to insulin? Do you understand why juicing bodybuilders use insulin recreationally? It's all tied together. Insulin sensitivity and release varies a lot between individuals and the idea of 'putting protein into the muscle' and such is nonsense. Strength isn't totally reliant on that and realistically neither is hypertrophy. A regular insulin release is good enough for growth and constant carb-loading is not only unnecessary but way overrated. If you disagree, do a test for yourself and see how much growth can occur on a totally ketogenic diet. I know exactly what post-workout nutrition is and I've already explained everything I can regarding how it works and why it works. Continually restating the same points you yourself do not understand will not change science, so it might be best just to change your mind. As for me: after a workout I usually answer emails or take a shower. Sometimes I relax a little bit and mess around on this forum. I eat when I feel I need to or when I get hungry.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gummy bears are part of why's nutrition, post workout. Right why?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lance konami
Gummy bears are part of why's nutrition, post workout. Right why?

In college I ate gummy bears for three days straight.

I love them. I haven't had them lately but I like to eat them in between sets nowadays because it gives me something to do.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
In college I ate gummy bears for three days straight.

I love them. I haven't had them lately but I like to eat them in between sets nowadays because it gives me something to do.

It shows.

KBW

Reaction score
why don't some of you morons just put your whey in MILK????

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads