• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whey protein 2014

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I searched through the forum and all of the protein discussions are a couple of years old, therefore I thought this would be a good discussion on some of the best proteins and advice.

I'm in the market for a new whey protein, I've been using the NOW protein which seemed perfectly find but my buddy has been pushing me to try Carnivor protein. The guy is ripped.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
forgive me if this is too big a question to answer or it's obvious, but what's the difference between 'worse' and 'better' whey powders?

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the different additives, type of whey, fats, carbs, etc.

I've been looking at a website call truenutrition where you can essentially mix your own protein. They have a wide variety too.:slayer:

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stick to Dymatize Elite. Tastes the best, is slightly cheaper than ON, and is pretty clean. Also mixes pretty well. I recommend cinnamon bun or vanilla.

themexconnect

Reaction score
There seems to be a new whey protein from new upcoming companies all the time, I personally like and currently use dymatize iso 100 in smooth banana and cellucor whey in cinnamon swirl and peanut butter marshmallow!!

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Bionic Edge. Smaller company but great product. From their website:

NO artificial chemicals
NO artificial sweeteners
NO artificial flavoring
NO gluten
No casein
NO MSG
NO aspartame
NO sucralose
NO asesulfame-K
NO artificial colors
MADE From Cows not treated with *rBGH Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy whatever is cheap its not going to make any difference.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Buy whatever is cheap its not going to make any difference.

This is true, unless of course you place value on taste, mix-ability and ingredients.

nmoore82

Reaction score
USN make my favourite - especially IGF-1 - but this is a whey and caesin blend.

Every time I log on to order new supplements online, there is always some new brand being marketed.

Keen to try Grenade's protein powder though - they have made excellent fat burners and pre-workout for a few years and only just released a protein range. Kris Gethin (the DTP guy from bodybuilding.com) is one of the endorsers.

leapyourbar

Reaction score
I use Kaizen, its $48 at Costco in Canada. Pretty decent stuff, no real junk. Before that I used Optimum. The price of whey protein has gone up more than gasoline in the last 6 years. When I first started working out, I could get 5lbs of ON for $28 and I thought that was overpriced. Now it's $51 for 5lbs. Absurd.

nmoore82

Reaction score
I use Kaizen, its $48 at Costco in Canada. Pretty decent stuff, no real junk. Before that I used Optimum. The price of whey protein has gone up more than gasoline in the last 6 years. When I first started working out, I could get 5lbs of ON for $28 and I thought that was overpriced. Now it's $51 for 5lbs. Absurd.

Exactly the same in the UK. I've seen some supplements nearly double in price over the years than from how much they used to be.
In 2012, we had to start paying an additional 20% tax on supplements too. Never thought I'd be shopping around to find the best current bargain on protein powder when I'm running low!

DMartins

Reaction score
How do you drink your whey protein? Do you just bring a water bottle to the gym and add water? Or do you make a smoothie (and if so, what's in your smoothie)?

nmoore82

Reaction score
Yep. Take to the gym in a shaker and add water post workout.
I also use my protein powder to add into healthy recipes - like for a protein pancake made with just egg whites, whey, oats and raisins

DMartins

Reaction score
I see people adding plain water to their protein powders and I admit, I can't see myself ever finding one that I would be able to stomach ingesting that way. Any recommendations for the weaker stomached? Or cheap lactose-free ones (I'll tolerate poor taste over digestibility)?

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm basically sticking to ON GoldStandard. I tried now a lot of tastes and most are awful so just stick to the basics.

The last whey I tried was FREY Nutrition Triple Whey with Chocolate flavor. It's a nice product and I mainly bought it because it's a German brand.

On vacation I take Nature's Best Isopure Black & Green Tea Peach flavor whey. That was really fancy (read: expensive) but had an interesting taste also in water. It's lactose free I think.

I mix with tap water, sometimes after a workout also with chocolate milk depending on my calorie intake for the day.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads