1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Where's your diploma?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by msza, Jun 24, 2015.

1. msza

msza Senior Member

So I'm starting at a new office and am required to display my professional license for mental health practice, which looks like a diploma. I decided to get my grad diploma framed while I was at it (which until now had been at the bottom of a storage box) , and I was looking around for my undergrad one before I started to feel like kind of an ass. -- I don't think I really need anything but the license displayed, but I am in private practice and frequently have clients in my office, so I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to hang them for appearances. Personally, I don't care for the look, but I'd do it if I thought it would help business.

So... diplomas on your office wall: class or ass?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015

2. Reggs

Reggs Distinguished Member

I was raised to think that the only people who did so were children of uneducated parents.

3. ramuman

ramuman Distinguished Member

Display what you need to. If it's required in your field, show it in your office.

I personally literally trashed every diploma from HS to my PhD within a day of getting them - but I've worked atypical jobs. It's not ass if it helps you imo.

4. msza

msza Senior Member

Apparently a study has been done showing that a therapist (my field) displaying 9 credentials/diplomas/etc in their office is still viewed in a positive light by prospective clients. Interesting. I think I only have 4, so I guess I'll hang 'em.

Study: https://mindshapedbox.wordpress.com...ists-display-their-diplomas-and-certificates/

Oh, but I definitely wont put my HS diploma up there, not that I even know where it is.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015

5. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Stylish Dinosaur

I've got my JD diploma, ABA, PBA membership, Federal court admission, and PACDL membership on the one wall. I've got plenty of other shit I could throw up there if I needed to have a Little Lebowski Urban Achievers' Wall.

[​IMG]

6. Flambeur

Flambeur Distinguished Member

7. liabeokgm

liabeokgm New Member

got plenty of other shit I could throw up there if I needed to have a Little Lebowski Urban Achievers' Wall
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015

8. SpeakingofNah

SpeakingofNah New Member

Yeah, my diploma is still on the waiting list to be used, hah!

9. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

Mine are all on a shelf in my closet, still in their envelopes. If you have to use a degree to impress people coming into your office, I kind of think you've already lost the battle.

10. TyroneTornado

TyroneTornado Member

Mine is framed and under my bed. One of these days, I am expecting to have a killer home office and put it on the wall there.