• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wherefore are the shark-like feeding frenzies?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I log on to Style Forum on the first Monday after Christmas and... nothing.

A post on the Edward Green sale that has languished at one page, with a sale list for 7.5E only. One - ONE! - photo of spoils in the shoe Appreciation thread. Not even gripes about the sale prices or the slim pickings. No Youtube video of strange men in old, fraying Carlo Franco Style Forum ties marching on Jermyn Street and elbowing their way to the shelves. Not even a photo of Aportnoy polishing all his shoes in preparation for what was once the most sacred day of the year.

Isn't this Style Forum, the vehicle that caused maniacal Internet feeding frenzies just a few years ago? The device that allowed a single sentence to make Ralph Lauren Purple Label salesmen's lives miserable all over the country, simultaneously, and devour sale stock in a matter of minutes?

What is going on? How have we sunk to this?

(Well, on my end, an academician does not have a lot of ammo, so that's my excuse. Someone please, please post more photos of shoe hauls.)

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped by Leffot on Thursday and commissioned an AS chukka in a pretty unique colorway. The beveled welt on the model that Steven shows has to be seen to be believed. And, like many, I'm waiting for the EG sales list to come out (next week, apparently). Till then I have everything I could want. I'm by no means aportnoy but when you have ten pairs of shoes you've never worn, you have too many shoes.

As to feeding frenzies - RLPL stopped over-ordering shoes we like, so there's nothing to feed on :/

RJE

Reaction score
Growing (mostly unacknowledged) weltschmerz.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jay Kos had (may still have) EGs for $500 and a pair or two in shell for $600 which also failed to register on the SF radar. I dis snag 3 pairs of EGs from Kos (dark green suede Newmarket, black Malvern and a shell Fawlsey) as well as a suede Chelsea boot (Watton) from the Lobb sale.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dec. 26 sales at Sak's at Barneys sucked for men. Not only were the discounts not as good as last year, there were slim pickings since I assume merchandise buyers were a lot more conservative this year and there was no glut of inventory they had to get rid of like last year. A lot of crap at Sak's - particularly their house-branded stuff.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I popped into the EG sale today (saw StephenStyle through the window and went in to say hello). Some nice models, and they seemed to be selling well. Nothing sufficient to tempt me though.

Harrods was a different matter - decent prices on a range of decent shoes, but by 2.30pm when I arrived it was absolute carnage; the harried sales staff told me unless I could find one half of a pair on the shop floor they couldn't sell me the shoes I wanted, but there were hundreds of people and thousands of shoes thrown together at random in a confined space. I gave up, and may return later when things are calmer.

Oh, and Austin Reed have some nice full-canvass hand finished Chester Barrie suits on the first floor of their Regent Street store from £395 to £595 (down from £1395), but some swine apparently purchased everything in my size earlier this morning.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No good sales.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
No good sales.
+1. Everything I've seen that I wanted was still at full retail.
frown.gif

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still can't understand the hoards of people queuing all night just to be in the front for the Gucci department in the morning.

I've never seen anything like it at Selfridges. Are these bags never on sale or impossible to get at a discount?!

Macallan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenStyle
I still can't understand the hoards of people queuing all night just to be in the front for the Gucci department in the morning.

I've never seen anything like it at Selfridges. Are these bags never on sale or impossible to get at a discount?!

It happens every year - big queue for Gucci, namely 20-somethings of a far-east origin.

Mr T

Reaction score
I tried. I really did. But the sales and selection just didn't do it for me. I didn't buy a single article of clothing this entire holiday season except a pair of cordovan boots that had been planned for some time.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the best thing in the PSA thread is kitonbrioni mistakenly posting his WAYWRN post there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads