• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to take this jacket out?

Rankiz

Reaction score
I bought a very nice half canvassed jacket from Suit Supply, that is perfect at the shoulders, but a bit tight around the waist area and back area. The jacket is unconstructed and unlined. Should I take it out the back seam, the hip seams or the side seams? Or all of them?

Rankiz

Reaction score
I have checked how much I can take it out, and there seems to be around 2cm to take out in total around the hips, and around 1.5 cm at the single back seam. The side seams seems to have very little alteration possibilities.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of these points - or return it for a larger size that actually fits.

knezz

Reaction score

Returning it for a larger size would probably have the shoulders not fit - which is almost impossible to remedy.

Now if you are saying return it for another cut that may fit better then I would agree. Other than that he would have to have all points taken out as others suggested.

Rankiz

Reaction score
And on a sidenote, I bought the jacket in Milan on holiday, so it would be easier to take it out.

Rankiz

Reaction score
Should I not take out the back seam because this will alter the balance of the jacket? Or should I do it if necessary to get it to fit? (After I've taken out the hip seams).

This is where Suitsupply recommended me to take it out:

I send you a picture what I mean with the back seams.
It depends which jacket our fabric it is. Normally it is between two and three cm.
I recommend you the max for let out of the jacket.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Size up man. Doesn't fit you and it never will

Alexander3

Reaction score
I think it is better to get a larger one.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads