• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

where to stay paris and london (need help)

shoes22

Reaction score
I am making a trip to Paris and London in August. Please give me recs of where to stay (cool but good value approx. 400 a night max), eat (best spots), and shop (i want to get some great clothes over there and a pair of berlutis). Thanks so much in advance.

jjgold

Reaction score
I think you got it all wrong. I spent a week in London and Scotland in May. London is NOT the place to try and take a "value" trip if you are from US. The exchange is unfavorable and EVERYTHING is MUCH more expensive. I did not buy a stitch of clothing or shoes. Its just much cheaper to wait till it goes on sale and spend a few days in Manhattan. My 2 cents.

shoes22

Reaction score
when i say value i mean good for the money in comparison to other hotels. i am prepared to spend a bunch. just looking for cool places and good locations.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Lutetia in Paris isn't a bad value, the bar is great and the rooms are large but can be hit or miss condition wise. I don't know how much it runs, but probably somewhere around 400. Paris is worthless in August as everybody is on vacation. London is better as the British don't really vacation in the same way as the other Euros do. There are no good deals in London. I like staying around Mayfair, but I can't think of anyplace that would run you much less than 300 gbp per night.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Gore, just down the street from the Royal Albert Hall, is very charming and English, with a great bar. It's not "cool" in the minimalist sense, but it's a wonderful place to stay. Single rooms are like 150 quid.
http://www.gorehotel.co.uk/home.cfm

If you just want someplace clean and nice, and in a good location, the Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt is excellent. It's across the street from a tube station, and very well run and nicely appointed, if a bit commercial in feel. ~ 100 quid.
http://www.radisson.com/londonuk_vanderbilt

Mayfair is of course lovely, but you'll pay far out the ass for it.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might reconsider your budget for London lodging or simply skip Paris altogether at that time of year.

London: Quietly hidden away on the only cul-de-sac in Knightsbridge is the tiny twenty-nine room Beaufort Hotel. Even with its good value, the Beaufort might stretch your intended budget unless you opt for one of the smaller rooms. We have twice now been guests when we required last minute reservations and no other favorable hotel had a room for us. It is pleasantly unlike a typical big hotel experience. I doubt anyone familiar with London would criticize the location. http://www.thebeaufort.co.uk/

You might want to avoid the Millennium Hotel in Grosvenor Square for a few hundred years. Mr. Litvinenko's revue wasn't encouraging.

Paris: iammatt's remark is accurate. Almost everything is closed and the city can be miserably hot. Berthillon is still open and the lines will be short in August! http://www.berthillon-glacier.fr/

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We stayed at K&K Hotel Cayre last year on the left bank Saint Germain des Pres. Great location. Smallish rooms but stylish. Contemporary/modern.
We were there in May. Prices may vary by season.

Best two meals: L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon and Pierre Gagnaire. Both restaurants are spin offs of these chef's main restaurants. Easier to get into and not as expensive.
L'Atelier is very informal. It is actually two sushi bars which seat 20 persons each. You can see most of the kitchen from every seat. The precision and intensity of the chefs was great to watch.
Gagnaire was very small and a short walk from the Hotel. Seemed to draw more locals than tourists.
A great way to try two of the best French chef's fare.
Other memorable meals came from stopping in what I would call "bars", that looked like they had been there forever. Nothing fancy, very solid. I tried to avoid the major tourist sites and it payed off.

shoes22

Reaction score
what do you all think of the morgans hotels in london? which area is the best to stay in near the great shops?

thanks again.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ......2
what do you all think of the morgans hotels in london? which area is the best to stay in near the great shops?

thanks again.

If you are considering those Phillipe Starck designs of either Morgans (and there is nothing wrong with that), you should definitely and altogether ignore my prior suggestion of the Beaufort Hotel in Knightsbridge!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads