• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to stay in Paris for honeymoon?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My fiancee and I will be in Paris for part of our honeymoon. We plan on being there for a 3-4 nights. We're not interested in touristy things, and much more interested in staying in an area with great little restaurants, bakeries, and shops. As of the moment, we're looking at a nice hotel in the 1st Arrondissement, midway between Place Vendome and the Louvre.

How's the area we've picked--it's a nice area, but too touristy? Any suggestions as to what area we should stay in?

Thanks in advance!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
isnt the 1st eme pretty touristy in general?

we stayed in the 17th eme, in Monceau, which i REALLY liked. Not touristy at all and we were right by a great street with local shops (bread, meat, cheese, bakery, etc). Right near the Villiers metro stop on line 2 & 3

Wouldnt necessarily recommend our hotel, tho it was fine, but the area was quaint, "real", and convenient. we also stayed 4 nites during our honeymoon

but 1st eme is def nice place to stay!

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
My wife and I very much like this place (we stayed there on our honeymoom, which admittedly was some time ago), both the hotel in particular and the location. Easy to walk places, nice low-key shopping, a number of small art galleries in the area, very close to Luxembourg Gardens.
http://www.hotelabbayeparis.com/
Staying in the 1st arondissment -- or really anyplace near the center of the city -- likely will be fine. It's all very walkable, and of course the metro is easy. Congrats and have a great time.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
My fiancee and I will be in Paris for part of our honeymoon. We plan on being there for a 3-4 nights. We're not interested in touristy things, and much more interested in staying in an area with great little restaurants, bakeries, and shops. As of the moment, we're looking at a nice hotel in the 1st Arrondissement, midway between Place Vendome and the Louvre.

How's the area we've picked--it's a nice area, but too touristy? Any suggestions as to what area we should stay in?

Thanks in advance!

Hôtel Meurice is located exactly where you want. It is a 5 star hotel in amenities and price. Sulka used to be in the building at street level.

You could always cross the river on the little Orsay footbridge or Pont Royal to find slightly more modest accommodations on Rue de Lille at the Hôtel Solferino/Residence Orsay. I believe it's a 3 star affair. Even though it is in the 7th, it is still between the Louvre and Place de la Concorde and may have a little more of neighborhood feeling than the other side of the river. It's a quick stroll to Boulevard Saint-Germain.

With the Metro's ability to get you anywhere quickly, there are certainly choices for your consideration in other arrondissements. Forum members more familiar with Paris may have other up to date suggestions.

___

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would also stay outside the 1st. If you do stay there, I would avoid the Meurice which is on the Rue de Rivoli IIRC. I stay in the 6th myself. We generally stay either at the Lutetia or the Relais Christine. Both are great. Another great idea out in the 16th is the St. James. It would be a great place for a honeymoon as the rooms tend to be large and the place is great overall. Probably my number one choice would be 3 rooms at 5 Rue de Moussy. We have stayed at the sister hotel at Corso Como and it was fantastic. The neighborhood is one of my favorites in Paris. http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/21/ma.../21DESIGN.html

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The area you picked is extremely touristy. I would not stay there. Nor do any memorable bakeries or great little restaurants in that area come to mind. You'd be close to a few grand restaurants, but that's a different matter.

I think FC is overcome by Sulka nostalgia. The rue de Rivoli is now chock-a-block with tatty tourist shops and tatty tourists, along with the nastier kind of designer shops.

I would not stay in the 16th. Bourgeois, stately and dead.

Stay in the 7th or the 6th. I've heard good things about the Hotel Duc de St Simon. Or there are the Hotel Montalembert or the Hotel Pont Royal.

The Lutetia is nice but the Sonia Rykiel decor always makes me think "tart's bedroom" when I am there.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I would not stay in the 16th. Bourgeois, stately and dead.
wow....a lawyer in a Kent Wang pocket square complaining about the bourgeois and stately. The world can end now. edit - BTW my annual trip dates are set. Mid May as always....I shall prepare my barbarous tools for our next day out. See you then!

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
edit - BTW my annual trip dates are set. Mid May as always....I shall prepare my barbarous tools for our next day out. See you then!
My exile will likely be over by then... I'll alert teh barbarian though.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would rent an apartment in a quiet neighborhood and use the metro to go places. Let me know if you need help.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful suggestions. It sounds like the 1st isn't for us; we're not really looking for grand hotels and grand restaurants. We've spent a few days in Paris in college, but we didn't really know what we were doing. I just remember that the Champs Elysee was awful.

If we stay in the 6th, is it easy to walk to the other arrondissements across the river? Would we even want to? We don't have a list of things to do. We'll probably go to a couple of museums, but we really just want to enjoy the city--particularly its food. If we are in an area where we can wander around for 3 or 4 days, we'll be more than happy.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I would also stay outside the 1st. If you do stay there, I would avoid the Meurice which is on the Rue de Rivoli IIRC.

Originally Posted by RJman
I think FC is overcome by Sulka nostalgia. The rue de Rivoli is now chock-a-block with tatty tourist shops and tatty tourists, along with the nastier kind of designer shops.

Stay in the 7th or the 6th. I've heard good things about the Hotel Duc de St Simon.

I am in complete agreement with you both about the Hôtel Meurice (it's a little seedy for a 5 star) and Rue de Rivoli in general. I mentioned it only because I understood the "central" location to be the mafoofan's ideal headquarters. That's why I suggested a stay across the river in the 7th to enjoy proximity and a better atmosphere.

____

Neo1824

Reaction score
I love the 6th ar. You definitely can walk most places in the center of the city from there...though I suppose that depends how long you want to walk. I wanted to see it all the first time I stayed there so just went walking all over...Louve, Arc de Triumphe, Effiel Tower, etc... Beautiful gardens, small shops and cafe's...loved it.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd add my vote to the recommendations to stay somewhere on the left bank. Unless you want the wow factor of opening your curtains and looking at the Seine, Eiffel tower, Concorde and AssemblÃ
00a9.png
e Nationale all in one look - in which case, treat yourselves to the Crillon and get a room on the Place de la Concorde.

Also, there's no reason to necessarily walk everywhere. If the weather is OK, take buses - it's like a guided tour without the annoying guide! It's more pleasant and interesting than taking the metro IMO - you can see everything and hop off if you see a store, building or restaurant that catches your attention. Weekly passes are fairly inexpensive

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
If we stay in the 6th, is it easy to walk to the other arrondissements across the river?
Very easy from the 6th, 7th and 5th.
Would we even want to?
Yeah, probably.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time I was in Paris I stayed at the Hotel Mansart on the 1st Arrondisment. It's a next door from Bvlgari and a block away from Charvet, at the Place Vendome. Love the location. Here's the view from my window balcony.

69998372.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads