• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to stay in NYC?

closetmess

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am planning to drive to NYC this weekend (Fri-Mon) with the old man to do some suit shopping, catch some ball games, MoMa, and generally explore the city. I am most concerned with which area to stay in for best access to everything, and which hotel in that area is reasonably priced and sufficient. We usually stay in 4-5 star hotels but understand that our idea of a 4 star will cost like $500+ in NYC - so count that out.

Any ideas? I imagine we'll be there for 3 nights and will want to be able to walk to decent restaurants and have a foolproof time finding good shopping and access to the ballparks, etc.

Thanks in advance.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sounds like you should stay in midtown somewhere...

the hilton on 6th and 54th...

and times square is never nice

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go on tripadvisor.com and search for NYC hotels. They rank them by popularity and have links to Orbits, Hotels.com, etc so that you can see the average price per room. Just go down the list until you find one that is in the area you want and in your price range. I use tripadvisor all the time and find it to be extremely accurate and timely.

BTW, get a good guidebook for NYC. There are several shopping hubs. Plan out sections of the city to visit and group attractions by lower Manhattan, mid-town, etc. don't waste your day criss-crossing town. Find out where the ball parks are and plan how you will get there. A lot of things are far away!

danyllau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
sounds like you should stay in midtown somewhere...

the hilton on 6th and 54th...

and times square is never nice

+1 mid-town.

There's a Hyatt right on top of Grand Central station is also very convinient that i stayed, it's regular price is around sub- $350. If you are taking subway, this is definately a good place, and it's kinda close to most thing too if you cab. It's a pretty nice hotel, stuff don't look old and cramped at all; well at least compared to my stay at Benjamins =S, although that place is more comfortable hahaha.

ballgames are all over the place....MSG is south of Time Square, Football type stadiums are like in NJ, Ballparks are at Bronx or Shea in end of queens...

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time square, you can get a nice hotel for around $150. It's convenient. Hell, NYC is convenience itself with its subways system. You can get anywhere.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
never stay in times square. A good rule of thumb is to never go to an area with the word square after it. Times Square, Herald Square, hell, even union square. They are crowded, dirty, and just not real new york. If you want bright lights and tall buildings, go to vegas. If you want the easiest access, stay in midtown, but go a little further east. Check out the W hotel on 50/Lex. You will be right by grand central, where you can get a subway to just about anywhere. The Pod Hotel on 51/3 is pretty cool, but its a little out of the way.

closetmess

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brennan Huff
that avatar made my head hurt =/

pocketsquareguy's avatar makes both my heads hurt.

So, NO to Times Square? Now I'm just thinking of staying in Jersey, I understand most hotels have hourly shuttles over the bridge...

closetmess

Reaction score
Meh, my laziness knows no ends. Just contacted my travel agent for a night's stay near Woodbury Commons, and 2 nights under $250 in the city or Jersey and tickets for Yankees Monday and MoMa Sunday. Worth her commission to not have to worry about it, since I'm leaving in like 16 hours. Thanks to all that replied. Will report on Woodbury if worth reporting on upon my return.

jpticar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
never stay in times square. A good rule of thumb is to never go to an area with the word square after it. Times Square, Herald Square, hell, even union square. They are crowded, dirty, and just not real new york.

I agree about never staying in Times Square, but what is wrong with Union Sqaure. You see all types of people in Union Sqaure, which to me is what makes NYC so unique. What is REAL New York to you?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For people who have never been to NYC and who want to see the common tourist sights, most love a stay in Times Square. Of course it isn't a hipster destination or a luxury destination, but it s very convenient.

jpticar

Reaction score
^ That is true I guess. Times Square to me is the oppoisite, avoided at all costs. But i guess thats because I've seen it too many times lol. How much does the Marriot over there go for now? Id imagine its pretty expensive.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpticar
I agree about never staying in Times Square, but what is wrong with Union Sqaure. You see all types of people in Union Sqaure, which to me is what makes NYC so unique. What is REAL New York to you?

I am just not a big Union Square fan, its too corporate (MANNNNNNNNN). To me it just dosent feel like authentic New York. The sad thing is, these days, not much of new york feels too authentic. I try to eat at places that arent owned by large corporations, and these days, it aint to easy.

The crowd in Union may not be the classic TS touristy crowd, but its mostly BT's and students. No real new yorker should be caught dead there (at least in my opinion). Hey, I could be cynical, but its just not me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics