• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to start?

seemore

Reaction score
First off, sorry for the lameness of this post but I'm starting from scratch here and hoping to learn. I went through the WAYWT thread for the past few days, sceengrabbing anything I liked the look of and taking down the designer names etc. So now I have a general idea as to who the popular designers are but, and this is sounding stupid here, why are they popular? I'll see a post with a $30 tee and another very similar tee (or so it appears to me) which costs five times that...are we just looking at exclusivity here? Same for footwear, what do you guys look for?

Basically how do I know something is of good quality without searching on here? Aesthetically I know what I like but I guess I'm more concerned about the quality of the piece.

This post really is a mess, sorry.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically how do I know something is of good quality without searching on here? Aesthetically I know what I like but I guess I'm more concerned about the quality of the piece.

I think you need to just discover that yourself. It's up to you whether or not something is up to your standards. And I find often, when it comes to certain items, the difference between a high priced item and a low priced one is barely noticeable. Also know that just because something is expensive, that doesn't guarantee quality.

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

First off, sorry for the lameness of this post but I'm starting from scratch here and hoping to learn. I went through the WAYWT thread for the past few days, sceengrabbing anything I liked the look of and taking down the designer names etc. So now I have a general idea as to who the popular designers are but, and this is sounding stupid here, why are they popular? I'll see a post with a $30 tee and another very similar tee (or so it appears to me) which costs five times that...are we just looking at exclusivity here? Same for footwear, what do you guys look for?

This post really is a mess, sorry.

You'll learn by your mistakes, the way we all do, until you find your style!:)

clotheshorse69

Reaction score
I believe it's more how you wear something than what you are wearing. Appearance depends on mood and where you are. I've seen people in thrift store stuff rock it harder than those who drape themselves in high end designer stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads